| Super Smash Bros.|
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
|Official Debut||Super Mario World (1990)|
|Home Stage||Woolly World|
Yoshi (ヨッシー, Yosshī) is the protagonist of the Yoshi's Island series and other Yoshi games in general, as well as a recurring character in the Mario series. Yoshi is one of the most popular Mario characters, up to the point of getting his own sub-series. Yoshi has also appeared in all of the Super Smash Bros. games, with not many changes through each installment.
Yoshi is a unique character; he's a heavyweight with the fastest air speed in Brawl, possesses a recovery that revolves around the best midair jump in the game, and possesses a unique shield that does not shrink, making him completely immune to shield stabbing. Yoshi in general has great all around movement speed (possessing a fast walking and dashing speed to compliment his air speed), and fast attacks throughout his moveset. Additionally, Yoshi possesses grab release options on several characters. Yoshi also has among the best horizontal survivability, good reach all around, a great get off move in his jab, and a great anti-air projectile in Egg Throw.
However, he has an over-reliance on his double jump to recover, making footstool jumps, meteor smashes, or certain special grabs very dangerous to him. Yoshi additionally possesses generally poor finishing ability, resulting from possessing mediocre to just above average finishers, and having extremely weak attacks outside his finishers.
- Neutral attack - Yoshi does a left kick, then right kick.
- Dash attack - Yoshi performs a dashing kick, followed by an awkward stumble.
- Forward tilt - Yoshi spins and swipes opponents with his tail.
- Up tilt - Yoshi crouches down and flicks his tail skyward.
- Down tilt - Yoshi performs a low sweep with his tail.
- Forward smash - Yoshi slams his head forward as a powerful headbutt.
- Up smash - Yoshi performs a quick back-flip kick.
- Down smash - Yoshi quickly strikes both sides with his tail.
- Neutral aerial - Yoshi performs a sex kick. The size of his foot is larger during the attack to indicate an extended reach.
- Forward aerial - Yoshi winds up up and slams his head downward.
- Back aerial - Yoshi rapdily wags his tail, swatting opponents in the process.
- Up aerial - Yoshi flips his body and thrusts his tail upward.
- Down aerial - Yoshi rapidly peddles his feet as he descends. It is a reference to his fluttering ability in Yoshi's Island.
Grabs and throws
- Forward throw - Spits the opponent out.
- Back throw - Spits the opponent backwards; for all intents and purposes identical to Yoshi's forward throw.
- Up throw - Spits the opponent upwards.
- Down throw - Spits the opponent into the ground, which knocks them upwards.
- Aerial Grab - Repeatedly punches and kicks his opponent as they fall and ground pounds on them when landing.
- Neutral special - Egg Lay: Yoshi quickly extends and retracts his trademark tongue. If it captures an opponent, the opponent will quickly be swallowed and expelled trapped in a Yoshi Egg. Opponents remained trapped longer if they have a considerable amount of damage. The larger the opponent swallowed, the larger the Egg will be.
- Custom 1 - Lick: Yoshi pokes the enemy with his tongue
- Custom 2 - Egg Launch: The egg Yoshi lays is fired backwards, but is easier to break out of.
- Side special - Egg Roll: Yoshi enters an Egg and rolls across the stage. The player can choose where Yoshi rolls and when to end the move, although Yoshi will eventually stop if performing the move for too long.
- Custom 1 - Heavy Egg Roll: Significantly slower and stronger.
- Custom 2 - Light Egg Roll: Considerably stronger and faster, but bounces once and breaks on the second bounce.
- Up special - Egg Throw: Yoshi grabs an Egg and throws it. Like in Yoshi's Island, the player can angle the direction the Egg is thrown. It is one of the few up specials that does not handicap the player after using it, mainly because it is not a recovery move.
- Custom 1 - High Jump: Increases the height gaines, but does not throw eggs.
- Custom 2 - Timed Egg Throw: Eggs thrown are stronger and travel through enemies instead of exploding on contact.
- Down special - Yoshi Bomb: Yoshi thrusts himself skyward and slams himself into the ground. It is based off of his "Ground Pound" ability in Yoshi's Island.
- Custom 1 - Star Bomb: Much less power, but the stars produced are larger and stronger.
- Custom 2 - Crushing Bomb: Much more power, but slower and produces no stars.
- Riot Move - Egg Blast: Yoshi takes a big, fiery Yoshi Egg and throws it at his victim, as the victim flies off the stage along with the egg.
- Winged Egg: Winged Yoshi does the same, but the egg dashes through the air itself using its wings. The fire also looks blue.
- Final Smash - Eggstravaganza: Yoshi will get out of stage and will stay on the front of the screen, in a third person view. An aiming cursor appears and he is able to throw several big eggs at opponents. Sometimes Yoshi will be able to throw fiery eggs that will cause higher damage. If they are damaged enough, the Eggs may cause instant KOs.
- Dances around in a circle and cries "Yoshi!" upon finishing.
- Yoshi chases his tail, followed by a brief pause to stare at it.
- Looks towards the screen and jumps excitedly up and down with his arms flailing. He cries "Yoshi! Yoshi!"
Winged Yoshi's taunts are the same except for the second one, where he floats and flaps his wings.
- 1st Entrance: Yoshi hops out of a Yoshi Egg.
- 2nd Entrance: A Flower Grapple from Super Mario Galaxy 2 appears and Yoshi enters the stage by swinging through it with his tongue from the background.
An flourished remix of the beginning of the title theme from Yoshi's Story plays while he does one of the following animations:
- Yoshi dances a little and then makes peace sign in front of the screen.
- Yoshi jumps happily, then makes a pose.
- Yoshi is seen sitting backwards and looking at the side while eating a Yoshi Cookie.
As Winged Yoshi his victory poses are the same, except that when he makes the pose on the first and the second one, he floats. Yoshi (and his Winged Yoshi alternate) shares his victory fanfare with Baby Bros..
- Standard - Green: Green body, orange shoes. A standard Green Yoshi.
- Red: Red body, blue shoes. A Red Yoshi.
- Light Blue: Light blue body, purple shoes. A Light Blue Yoshi.
- Yellow: Yellow body, green shoes. A Yellow Yoshi.
- Pink: Pink body, yellow shoes. A Pink Yoshi.
- Purple: Purple body, orange shoes. A Purple Yoshi.
- White: White body, cyan shoes. A White Yoshi.
- Black: Black Body, white shoes. A Black Yoshi.
- Winged Yoshi: Yoshi takes the appearance of the winged Blue Yoshi from Super Mario World. His voice has some kind of mystic echo to it, and his attacks and eggs have shiny, magic effects. Some animations are changed on his taunts, victory poses, etc.