Welcome back! It's been a while, but I'm gonna be continuing this series.
Super Mario Bros.: The Mushroom Wars
Back in 2012, I attempted a Mario RTS. And it was a trainwreck.
- Random original characters for the Koopa Troop heroes. They were pretty much rushed in.
- Bringing high fantasy elements into the Mario world. It just feels weird.
- An imbalance in each army's units. The Koopa Troop had two extra units.
- A bad platform choice. I don't think the 3DS could handle a game of this scale.
What I Did Right
- A Mario RTS is a brilliant idea in general. Yet, Mario strategy games have been attempted recently with the Superstar Saga remake's Bowser's Minions mode as well as Mario + Rabbids. However, this was different.
- That's pretty much it.
The Mushroom Wars is a perfect example of having a good idea, but executing it horribly. This would be my last Mario game for over two years, and I would have a long break from Fantendo during this time, though my next two projects will be covered.
How I'd Do It Today
I'd probably rebalance the two factions, write up a more convincing story, and remove all the high fantasy crap.
This game was honestly a nightmare. Looking back at it, I can't believe I was capable of making something so bad. Anyways, next week we'll be looking at Donkey Kong Country Returns Again, and as you can guess by the title, it's terrible. Stay awesome, and have an amazing day.