The Year of Waluigi is The special event held in 2020 and continued in 2021 in commemoration of the 20TH anniversary of Waluigi's debut in Mario Tennis which was first released on July 21ST, 2000! Therefore, released during the event were several games, collectibles, and downloadable content with Waluigi as the True focus. The Year of Waluigi was originally announced during the January 2020 Nintendo Direct, & in early December, Reggie Fils-Aime stated that it would continue into 2021, which was confirmed by Tatsumi Kimishiwa in the Nintendo Direct on December 18, 2020! As announced by Shigeru Miyamoto on February 18, 2021, The Year of Waluigi officially ended on March 17, 2021!
The Wii U
The Nintendo !DS
The Nintendo 3DS
The Nintendo 4DS
Console special editions
- The Waluigi-Themed Nintendo 3DS XL with WaluigiWare INC pre-installed on the 4GB SD card. [Available for retail in Japan ] and North America, The exclusively via Nintendo's official online store in the United Kingdom.)
- Japan Club Nintendo members can get a copy of The Year of Waluigi Sound Selection. It contains 30 songs from Waluigi's Mansion to WaluigiWare INC. It costs 700 points, But members who have purchased and registered any of The Year of Waluigi games can get the CD for only 300 points.
- Exclusive merchandise is available in Japan.
- The Year of Waluigi coin was created available with The small purple bag for 1500 and 1250 stars in the European and Australian Club Nintendo websites, respectively.
- The Waluigi's Mansion diorama is available on The American Club Nintendo site for 1500 coins, and the European Club Nintendo for 7000 Stars.
- The Year of Luigi poster as The side of The three poster set as The optional Platinum reward for Club Nintendo members who ranked the status by March 2020.
- The Waluigi Nendoroid tying in with The Year of Waluigi, was released in March 2021!
Special elements to applications
- Seven drawing competitions in The Miiverse were held, The themes of each contest being related to elements from Waluigi's Mansion. The drawings were chosen by MariChan, who was in charge of the Waluigi communities!
- The New Super Mario Bros. 3 scrapbook, with screenshots of The Miiverse, the screenshots being chosen by MariChan.
- Seven Mii's of Nintendo employees sent out to players' StreetPass Mii Plazas wore purple clothes and Waluigi's Hat for the event:
- The Year of Waluigi stationary was released for Swapnote.
- Shigeru Miyamoto, Takashi Tezuka, & Reggie Fils-Aime sent out notes on Swapnote about The Year of Waluigi.
- The logo is similar to that of the logo used for The Year Of Luigi & The 25th anniversary of The Super Mario Bros.
- In The Waluigi-Theme Special edition of the Nintendo 3DS XL, at the back of the system, The Wario silhouette can be spotted surrounded by The Waluigi Silhouettes.