The Subspace Emissary is a 2017 Japanese-American CGI-animated science-fiction action-adventure comedy-drama film directed by Colin Trevorrow who also directed Jurassic World, and starring the voices of Martin Short, Tom Hanks, Tom Felton, Bill Murray, Jennifer Lawrence, Tom Kenny and Antony Del Rio. The screenplay is by Colin Trevorrow and Steven Spielberg, with a story by Kazushige Nojima. Most animation is made by Illumination Entertainment who also anmade Despicable Me. In North America, the movie is scheduled to be released in March 2017, also nine years after the NA release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the game which the movie is based from. The movie follows all characters from Brawl on a quest to save the World of Trophies from the evil forces of Subspace.
|The Subspace Emissary: The Movie|
|Producer(s)|| Steven Spielberg
|Studio(s)|| Illumination Entertainment|
|Country of Origin|| United States
| Robert Downey Jr|
|Theatrical Release Date(s)|
| North America: 8th March 2017
International Release: 25th March 2017
|Home Edition Release Date(s)|
| North America: 12th August 2017
Europe: 13th August 2017
| North America: PG-13
Europe: FSK 12
|Original Language||English, Japanese|
|Box Office||527,379,218 $|
|Runtime||2 hours 32 minutes|
|Series||Nintendo Cinematic Universe|
The movie begins as Mario and Kirby face each other on a stadium located in the Smash Bros. world. In this world, when a fighter is defeated, they turn into a trophy form, which can be revived by touching the base. Suddenly, smoke pours from the sky and the Battleship Halberd flies over. It releases a stream of black purple-clouded bugs called Shadow Bugs that form the soldiers of the Subspace Army. The Ancient Minister, a cloak-clad, mysterious hovering General of the Subspace Army, arrives with his Army and detonates a Subspace Bomb, which can only be detonated by the sacrifice of two R.O.B.s, and which transports the stadium into Subspace, an alternate dimension where the Subspace Army resides. The Ancient Minister's advance prompts the heroes to progressively team up and attempt to repel the enemy, while villains harvest the power of the allied characters by using dark cannons to convert them into trophies, and using shadow bugs on some of them to fight the protagonists during their adventure.
The Ancient Minister is revealed as a subordinate to Ganondorf, Bowser and Wario who are under orders from Master Hand to draw the world into Subspace. The Ancient Minister's true identity is found to be that of the Master R.O.B. unit, who rebels against his superiors to join the allied characters. The allied heroes enter Subspace, where they find that R.O.B., Ganondorf, Bowser, Wario and even Master Hand were all being manipulated by a higher being, known only as Tabuu. Tabuu releases a power blast called "Off Waves" which transforms all the protagonists into trophies, although a select few (Luigi, Kirby, and Ness) are revived by brooches that were attached to them by King Dedede earlier in the story. They work together to revive the other characters scattered across Subspace and make their way through a great maze where Tabuu is located. As Tabuu is about to use his "Off Waves" to turn the characters into trophies once again, he is ambushed by Sonic, who weakens it; with that done, the fighters ultimately destroy Tabuu and save the Smash Bros. universe. In the last scene, all the fighters look at the horizon, where instead of the Isle of the Ancients appears a great luminous cross
- Martin Short as Mario, an Italian plumber who comes from the Mushroom Kingdom.
- Tom Hanks as Luigi, Mario's brother and sidekick who thinks he is a bit cowardly
- Mandy Moore as Peach, the beloved ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom
- John Malkovich as Bowser, the terrifying king of the Koopa Troop and one of the main villains of the movie
- Bill Murray as Donkey Kong, a gorilla who loves bananas and is the king of the jungle
- Chris Rock as Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong's buddy and nephew
- Greg Cipes as Yoshi
- Jim Cummings as Wario, a cunning scoundrel who likes to trophify fighters
- Tom Felton as Link, the Hero of Hyrule
- Jennifer Lawrence as Zelda/Sheik, the wise princess of Hyrule with a mysterious alter-ego
- Hugo Weaving as Ganondorf, the King of Darkness and Bowser's sidekick
- Colleen Clinkenbeard as Toon Link, a free-spirited, 12-year-old boy from Outset Island
- Scarlett Johansson as Samus Aran, a bounty hunter from Planet Zebes
- Antony Del Rio as Pit, the Captain of Palutena's Army
- Andrea Libman as Nana, Popo's wife
- Josh Gad as Popo, an Ice Climber and Nana's husband
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse as R.O.B./Ancient Minister, the secondary antagonist of the movie
- Makiko Ohmoto as Kirby, a pink puffball with a humonguous stomach
- Tom Kenny as King Dedede, a gluttony ruler of Dream Land
- Nolan North as Meta Knight, a masked knight from Dream Land
- Seth Green as Olimar, a captain from Planet Hocotate
- Jake Gyllenhaal as Fox McCloud, the Leader of Star Fox
- Jeremy Renner as Falco Lombardi, Fox's teammate and the member of Star Fox
- Christian Bale as Wolf O'Donnell, the rival of Fox McCloud
- Bryan Cranston as Captain Falcon, a F-Zero racer
- Ikue Ohtani as Pikachu, the Mouse Pokémon
- Veronica Taylor as Red, a Pokémon Trainer who goes on an adventure
- Sean Schemmel as Lucario, the Aura Pokémon
- Rachael Lillis as Jigglypuff, the Balloon Pokémon
- Jesse Eisenberg as Marth
- Chris Hemsworth as Ike, the Radiant Hero
- Zachary Gordon as Ness
- Jason Ritter as Lucas, a boy from Tazmily Village who becomes a teammate of Red
- David Hayter as Solid Snake, a spy hiding in the Halberd to save the princesses
- Roger Craig Smith as Sonic, a blue hedgehog and leader of a gang who disabled Tabuu
- Christopher Sabat as Master Hand & Crazy Hand, large glove-like beings who are the creators of the World of Trophies
- Brandy Kopp as Lady Palutena, the Goddess of Light and friend of Pit
Development began as the Movie title was announced at the San Diego Comic-Con in 2014. Originally, Guillermo del Toro was going to direct this movie, but due to time constraints, he got replaced by Colin Trevorrow, who directed the #1 blockbuster of 2015 "Jurassic World". In 20 September 2014, it is announced that Robert Downey Jr., Tom Felton and Bill Murray will provide the voices for Mario, Link and Donkey Kong.
A OST CD with the score of Heitor Pereira and Hans Zimmer is released in NA CD stores in 20 July 2017.
Marketing and Promotion
Changes from the Original Plot
- Some characters changed their appearances for modern audiences. The LoZ characters are based on their appearance from Hyrule Warriors, and the Metroid characters are based on their appearance from Metroid: Other M.
- After Mario got hit by the cannonball, Kirby and the princesses look in disbelief while Wario is approaching from behind. (Removal of Petey Piranha battle).
- During the jungle adventure of DK and Diddy, they use Rambi to get to the banana hoard faster.
- The battle against Rayquaza with Diddy Kong and Fox takes place in the sky while Diddy is in Fox's Arwing.
- While Lucas is chased by the Porky Statue, he sees Ness and destroys it with a PK Fire.
- The Pokémon Trainer has three more Pokémon in his team: Pidgeot, Lapras & Snorlax.
- Red's Charizard, Lucario & Rayquaza have the ability to Mega Evolve.
- While Link & Yoshi spy at the Halberd crossing over the land, they notice a noise originating from the Dark Cannon operated by False Zelda. Suddenly, Mario & Pit rush into the scene. But, Link taught that this could be the real Zelda, but it's fake.
- When Ridley appears, he does his entrance similar to his intro from Metroid: Other M.
- During Peach's tea party, Sheik plays her harp.
- After Ganondorf's illusion became a swarm of Auroros, the birds attacked the gang, but they failed, so the characters use them ans their weapons to fight against Subspace enemies, and even Meta Ridley.
- After several fighters were trophified from Tabuu's Off-Waves, Ness, Luigi & Dedede head into Subspace to revive these fighters.
- During the fight against Tabuu, Crazy Hand comes into action, saving Master Hand and brings three challengers into battle, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf O'Donnell.