|Swinub did not originate from fanon, and more information can be found on their respective wiki(s). You may read more about it on the following wiki(s):|
|National Dex Nr.||#220|
|Johto Dex Nr.||#195|
|Other Regional Dex Nr(s).|
|Ability/ies|| Oblivious, Snow Cloak |
(Hidden: Thick Fat)
|Average Weight||14.3 lbs.|
Swinub (Japanese: ウリムー Urimoo) is a dual-type Ice/Ground Pokémon.
Living in frigid temperatures, Swinub is covered in dense, brown, striped hair to keep it warm. The hair is so shaggy that it often covers its tuft-like small legs, making it appear like a legless lump. Swinub’s eyes appear as if they are perpetually closed. Swinub uses its pink, pig-like nose to dig through mud and snow, looking for anything edible. Occasionally, it will come across hot springs while scouring the ground. Its favorite food is a type of mushroom that grows beneath dead grass, though it also eats Berries. When a Swinub finds an attractive smell, it will run desperately to find out the source of the aroma. It inhabits cold places, such as icy caves, mountainous regions and frozen tundra.
- Swinub has the lowest base stat total of all Ice-type Pokémon.
- The only time that Swinub's eyes have been seen open was during the battle between Pryce and Erika in the Round Bringing up Bellossom from Pokémon Adventures when Pryce ordered his to dodge Erika's Skiploom's attack.
- Swinub is one of the few Pokémon with the same sprite in both Gold and Silver.
- Swinub is the only Pokémon that can be resistant to damage from all types of weather effects, including Shadow Sky, without the aid of an Ability.
- In HeartGold and SoulSilver coding, it is revealed that Swinub has Mud Shot listed as a "new HGSS" Egg move, but it could already learn this move by breeding since Generation III.
- Swinub and its evolutions are the only Pokémon weak to the types of all three starter Pokémon.
Swinub's size and appearance seem to be based on a mix of a Peruvian guinea pig and a wild boar piglet. It may also be based on wordplay of the groundhog. Both are similar in characteristics and behavior, while "Ground hog" describes Swinub's type and species quite well.
Swinub is a combination of swine and nub (referring to its lump-like nose).
Urimoo may be a combination of 瓜坊 uribō (a wild boar piglet) and ブーブー bū bū (an onomatopoeia for oinking).
← #219: Magcargo
#221: Piloswine →