|Developer(s)||Sora Ltd, Platinum Games, Namco Bandai|
|Platform(s)||Ultra Gem, Ninten-Tablet|
|Solo, Local Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer|
Super Smash Bros. Revolution (also called SSBR, SSB5 or Smash Revolution) is a fighting game developed by Namco Bandai, Sora Ltd., Platinum Games Inc. and published by Nintendo for the Ultra Gem and the Ninten-Tablet on September 8, 2019. This installment is the fifth installment of the Super Smash Brothers series, and the first game of the two new Nintendo consoles the Ultra Gem and the Ninten-Tablet, two consoles have been sold early in 2019.
This installment keeps the same game mechanics as Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U, especially the Wii U in terms of graphics. The speed in the fights has confirmed to be the same speed as that of Super Smash Bros. Melee, making them more competitive fights. The elements that made the success of the previous installment are back, like the Final Smash, which debuted in Brawl. This is a very strong move (the strongest of the game) that is given to the character who will break the "Smash Ball", a ball which floats across the top of the stage. The propel jumping, which is to jump over a wall, and use the wall to jump higher is also back, who made his debut in Melee.
The main new is the gameplay Revolution move. This is a special move, much like the Final Smash, but less powerful. Moreover, it does not require the Smash Ball for it. In dealing damage to opponents and receiving, the player fills his "Smash Meter" bar below the percentage box of his character. It is only once the bar is full that the player can use his Revolution move. The Revolution move can be actived or desactived in the battle rules.
Another new gameplay feature is the equipment cards. An equipment card, when it is associated with a character, gives the character power bonus, speed bonus, or other things. The card belongs to a rarity class, and rarity is represented by a number of stars (1-4). This means that the card has more stars, the card is more powerful and rare. The cards can be unlock by various means. For example, you can buy them in the Smash Shop, or earn the more rare cards in some online challenges (the "seasons") against other people around the world.
Like in the previous installments, SSBR feature a lots of game modes (??, ?? solo modes and ?? multiplayer modes) for both solo and multiplayer experience.
Like in the previous installments, the classic mode is a series of simple battles, team battles or beat-them-all battles. The mode count 12 stages, the last one being a battle against the Master-hand (and the Crazy-hand if the player choose a intensity of normal or more). The mode count also 4 bonus stages, like Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and Catch the Trophys. Like in SSB4, the player can choose his way.
Similar to the Adventure Mode of Super Smash Bros. Melee, this mode is a series of 2.5D or even sometimes in 3D platforming stages, battles against bosses and battles against giant rivals. At the end, the player has to defeat many bosses, which are Giga Bowser, armored Mewtwo, SA-X and of course the Master hand.
Main article here : Super Smash Bos. Revolution/Story Mode
Similar to the story mode of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the story mode of Super Smash Bros. Revolution is now called Revolution and is few years after the end of the Subspace Emissary. Enraged by his defeat, Tabuu decides to take his revenge and confronts Master hand in a duel. After defeating his opponent, he took the power in the world of Smash Bros. and established a totalitarian regime (a . All the heroes who are not on his side will be hunted relentlessly and tranform into a trophy. Many characters join Tabuu, but Mario and Link hiding in the mountains, made a project to have a large enough army to defeat Tabuu and restore the Master Hand Power.
Main article here : Super Smash Bros. Revolution/All-Star Mode
Playable only when all the characters are unlocked, this mode offers the player to face all the playable characters in the game one after the other in a well defined timeline that changes according to the versions of the game (From the Series newer than the oldest on Ultra-Gem and on the opposite Ninten-Tablet). Also, the player can create his own All-Star Mode, because he can choose the number of characters he wants to play against and he can choose the opponents number per stages (8 maximum), his favorites stages or also a stage in the story mode. The playables stages of the Story Mode are they :
- Mid-air Stadium
- The plains
- The Farm
- The Cliff
- The Forest
- The ruins of the Museum
- The harbor
- Tabuu Castle
- The Tabuu's lair
In this new mode, the player can choose the character he want and the world that he want to play in (the mode count 8 startings worlds and 4 unlockable worlds). In a limited period of time, the player must search a hidden treasure in the world, but many ennemis, mini-bosses and bosses are here.
Smash The Adventure of the 3DS version of SSB4 is back now with a new name and more functionality, as different worlds and different kinds of enemies. The mode bit also be playing with another player offline or online. Online, scores can be exchanged beings and challenges can beings sent.
In this new mode, the player chooses the character he wishes. Then he fought a series of battles. Before each battle, a lottery wheel is turned to determined what rewards (pieces of Equipment Cards, Smash Coins, Professor E. Gadd cards, character pieces, etc.) the player will receive once the battle won. The number of lives of his character is retained for each subsequent battle. If the player wishes, he may leave the mode anytime and receive his jackpot. If his character is knocked out, he automatically exits the mode and its jackpot is lost. Furthermore, after use, the surviving mode requires a 15 minutes to cooldown. The player can immediately replay the mode, but he will have to pay 15 000 Smash Coins.
Rack up combos against waves of enemies; try to get a higher combo than your opponent in Group Combo-Craze, or try for a new personal best in Solo Combo-Craze!
Also called "Versus Mode", this mode is the traditional battle mode of 1-4 players where players can add CPU characters. The players can customize the rules of the battles. The rules are they :
- Time : The battles have time that the players can increase or decrease.
- Stock : The players have a limited number of life.
- Coins : The players play with coins, like in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- Items : Allows the players to select items that appear and frequency.
- Random Select (Characters) : Allows the players to delete some characters in the random selection.
- Random Select (Stages) : Allows the players to delete some stages in the random selection.
- Percentage : Allows the players to select the number of percentage at the beginning of the game.
- Power-ups : When this rule is activate, the players can receive power-ups during the battle.
- Boss : Allows the boss of the stage to jump into the stage during the battle.
8 Players Smash
Returning from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, this mode allows players to play Smash mode with 5-8 players on the large versions of the stages. Unlike Super Smash Bros. Wii U, all stages have now a larger version.
Classic Mode (Co-op)
Classic mode of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is back, and it is now possible to play the classic mode with 4 players (up to 8 with Wi-Fi connection). Online, it is even possible to discuss and send small words of encouragement via Miiverse.
King of the Ring
In this mode, a highlighted box will appear on the stage. Players will have to stay in the box to acquire points. Points are acquired slower if an opponent is in the box as well, so kick the opponents out of the box to get points faster. K.O.s don't matter in this mode, only points. The highlighted box will also move around the stage, adding to the challenge. There is also included in this a 'King of the Hill' mode. In this mode, the stage you pick will have same background and aesthetics, but will only have one small platform that can hold up to three fighters at the most. The goal is to keep the other fighters off of the platform and claim it as your own; in stock matches, the last one standing wins; but in time mode, the fighter that stands on the platform at the end wins; if more than one stands on the platform, it goes into sudden death. There is also an option to turn on the 'Desperation' factor; this will cause any fighters not standing on the platform to slowly take damage over time.
Blast Zone Mayhem
In this mode, all fighters spawn in close proximity to one another within a designated area. The blast zones are much smaller in this mode and therefore fighters are confined to one specific area of the stage, making for a difficult match in which players must adapt to only being able to work with the immediate environment of the stage around them and the employment of different tactics to avoid getting K.O.'d.
In this mode, players can compose their decks of trading cards they've collected, trade cards online, or enter a Card Battle. In card battles, players use their collected cards to power up their fighter or weaken the opposing fighter. After ten turns of card application, the fight begins!
The roster of Super Smash Bros. Revolution has around 90 playable characters. The Super Mario series is once again dethroned by the Pokémon series with 9 Representative for the Super Mario series against 10 for the Pokémon series (16 if you count the pokémon of the trainer and of the Ranger)
98 characters are confirmed to be playable in the game (46 more than the previous game). Sheik and Zero Suit Samus return to transformation of Zelda and Samus. There are also 4 new transformations : Dry Bowser for Bowser, Goron Link, Deku Link and Zora Link for Young Link.
- March 20, 2016 : The game is presented at the E3 with a 20 minutes trailer. Mario made a cameo in the trailer and the new features are revealed. A week later, Nintendo post on his Youtube channel and on his website a new trailer that confirms the return of others "Originals eight" (Luigi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Fox and Yoshi). The following month, Nintendo seemed to stop its activity because SSBR was nowhere.
- February 4, 2017 : At the new E3, Nintendo present a new trailer that revealed the Inkling and announced the game Spatoon 2 and also confirmed Bowser and Peach. Annie and a Octoling appear in the trailer, but it is unclear if they are playable or if they are assists trophys.
- March 11, 2017 : After the Golden Sun : The Sacred Thrones Direct, a trailer was shown, revealing Isaac and Aquarock stage and confirming Ness and King Dedede. A few days later, conferences are held for the new game Ultra Pokkén Tournament for the Ultra-Gem and a new trailer is presented, revealing Blaziken, Oshawott and Raichu and confirming the return of Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard and Jigglypuff.
- March 29, 2017 : For the announcement of the game Monster Hunter 5, Nintendo, with the Capcom agreement, post on its Youtube channel and on its website a trailer that reveals Felyne as a playable character and the Moga Village as a stage. Also, images of the Felyne's attacks were posted on Miiverse.
- April 9, 2017 : After the Mother 4 : Fate of the two Dimensions Direct, Lucas is confirmed to return to the normal roster and not in the DLC and Kumatora is revealed to be a playable character with the Castle Oshoe stage.
- June 23, 2017 : Nintendo confirms on Miiverse that all of the Mii Fighters variants will be back, and reveals 3 new: The Mii Mage, the Mii Athlete and the Mii Driver. These variants have been added due to the fans requests.
- September 3, 2017 : Sakurai heads new conferences where the features are explained in detail and where many characters have been confirmed and revealed. They are : Chibi-Robo, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Isabelle, Tom Nook, Shantae, Billy Hatcher (with Sega agreement), Megaman, Bandana Dee, Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin, Klonoa (with Namco agreement), Rhythm Troupe, Bomberman and finally ROB.
- November 10, 2017 : After the The Legend of Zelda : The Stones of Eternity Direct, a trailer was shown confirmed Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Young Link and Link Cartoon to return and revealed Lana, Impa, Volga and Zelda Cartoon with Tetra for the tranformation of Zelda Cartoon.
- November 30, 2017 : For the release of a new Kid Icarus game and a new The Wonderful 101 game, Nintendo had posted two trailer on the Super Smash Bros. Youtube channels to confirm Pit and Paletuna and reveal Pyrrhon and Wonder Red.
- January 28, 2018 : Masahiro Sakurai presents a very long (90 minutes) trailer during a conference confirming this veterans : Wolf, Pichu, Sonic, Snake, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers and Olimar. Moreover, the trailer revealing this characters : Banjo & Kazooïe, Shovel Knight, Black Knight, Bomberman, Dixie Kong and King K. Rool.
- April 21, 2018 : On the occasion of the release of the game Wario Land/WarioWare, Ashley is revealed to appear as a playable character and Wario is confirmed to be back. Later, there are new conferences, this time on the game Yoshi Story : Shy Guy Chronicles and a trailer is presented revealing Kamek.
The game is confirmed to have ?? playable stages. Unlike in Super Smash Bros. 4, the stages are the same in both version of the game. The Omega form and the 8 players smash form return to SSB4 and have no change.
- Sakurai decided to delete the clones in this game, so many returning characters that were previously clones now have moves that are more fleshed out and different than others or they are now alternates costumes.