Super Smash Bros. Oblivion (Japanese: スーパー スマッシュ兄弟究極すべてを星します。 Dairantou Sumasshu Burazazzu Ultimate All-Stars) is a new-generation console fighting game released for the Nintendo Switch. The game is the first Smash Bros installment not to be directed by Masahiro Sakurai, who developed the first four games for Smash, and will be dedicated to Satoru Iwata, who died at 12 July 2015, during development time of the Switch.
|Super Smash Bros. Oblivion (Switch)|
| E 10+ (North America)|
USK 12 (PAL)
|Series||Super Smash Bros.|
|Predecessor||Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2014)|
Changes from earlier games
- Characters who doesn't speak in earlier games, like Donkey Kong or Bowser, have now their voice actors from different video games. Also, every character who speaks Japanese now speaks English in the international versions of the game.
- The gameplay has a faster capacity, so it has the similar gameplay style from SSBM.
- The graphics combine the realistic graphic style from Brawl and the bright and cartoonish graphic style from SSB4.
- Characters have also Alternate Costumes that can be unlocked by using them in various game modes or can be bought at Smash Store.
- A scrapped feature from SSBB was reintroduced to the game, but remained exclusive for Little Mac in Smash Wii U, known as damage marks. After the fighter got enough damage, their clothes become a bit tattered and their hair got messed up.
- A new smash attack is introduced, similar to Meteor Smash, called Meteor Crash. To perform a Meteor Crash, the player has to charge his forward smash to use it against the opponent. When the opponent has more damage, it will bounce into another fighter on the stage which is close to that opponent.
The roster of the game contains 85 characters hailing from different universes. The highest number of characters in a universe is the Pokémon franchise with 9 characters. The starting roster contains 55 characters. 30 are hidden fighters that must be unlocked in certain ways.
In SSBO, many game modes can be chosen in the menu, like the Classic Mode. New modes are the Boss Rush, a reboot of the Boss Battle from Brawl, the Sandbox Mode where you can build your own stages, and the Smash Turf. It also makes the return of the Story Mode, which is a sequel of Brawl's Subspace Emissary, taking place 10 years after this story.
Link to Game Modes Page: http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Oblivion_%28NX%29/Game_Modes
In SSBO, it is confirmed that there will be approximately 84 stages to choose. Some of the stages are unlockable and must be unlocked in certain ways, like clearing an Event or unlocking a character.
- Super Smash Bros. Oblivion is the Super Smash Bros. game with the highest number of playable characters, with 28 newcomers joining the roster.
- According to an interview, Tethu from Ever Oasis was originally planned to be included into the game, but was scrapped and got replaced by Spring Man, the character of Nintendo's upcoming fighter, Arms.
- The game will be released on January 2019, to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the first SSB game released for the Nintendo 64.