|Super Smash Bros. Fray|
| Single player|
|Media Included|| Wii U Optical Disk|
The speed of the battles has been confirmed to be about the same as that of Super Smash Bros. 4. Custom moves have also confirmed to be returning from this game.
Smash is the standard mode, where the player fights against CPU-controlled characters. The difficulty level of the CPUs can be set. The player can set the match to time, which means they have a restricted time to fight in, or set it to stock, in which they have a number of lifes, and each time they get KO'd, they lose a life. They can also be combined, where there is a time limit as well as lifes. Stamina battles are also available in regular smash battles now, and the amount of HP every character has can be set in the options as well.
Players can play the smash mode online, with players from all over the world. They can choose to play with friends, or with random people. They can also choose between ‘For Glory’, in which there are no items, and all stages are in omega forme, meaning the stage is flat and has no hazards, and ‘For Fun’, in which the stages are in their original forme and items are available.
Smash and Find
Smash and Find is a new mode, appearing similar to both Smash Run and the Subspace Emissary. It is playable with 1 or 2 players. They need to collect stat boosts, similarly to Smash Run. Smash and Find is divided into many different large maze-like areas, which can be progressed through. All of these areas are corrupted and overriden by posessed enemies. At the end of each area waits a boss that has to be fought in order to proceed. There is a cutscene after each level as well.
The story begins with Link and Zelda, who are in a large forest, when suddenly, a large ship flies over, after which Falco quickly runs past them. The ship can be seen dropping a huge object, after which a large explosion appears in the background. After this, Link and Zelda start to run as well, towards the place where the explosion could be seen.
Elsewhere, Kirby notices the large explosion as well. He flies toward the place of where he saw the explosion on a Warp Star, when he flies into Captain Falcon who was flying there with the Blue Falcon. The two crash and fall down into a rocky area, where they find a large hatch in the ground. They are unable to open it at first, but after Kirby eats Captain Falcon, they both perform a Falcon Punch on it, after which it breaks open. They find themselves in a long vertical level.
Meanwhile, Link and Zelda arrived at the area where the explosion happened. The large ship, now revealed to be the Great Fox, is flying stationarily in the sky above the crater caused by the explosion. Many strange creatures then drop from the Great Fox, as well as a large robotic creature. The large robotic creature then has to be fought. Once it is almost defeated, it leaps towards Link, Zelda and Falco. It sweeps back Link and Falco, while Zelda dodges into the sky using Farore's Wind. She gets hold of a ledge on the Great Fox, which then quickly departs, seperating Zelda from Link and Falco.
Elsewhere, Pikachu and Pichu had been captured by the army of odd creatures. As they attempt to make their way out of the large jail-like place where they had been captured, they come across Samus, who had infiltrated the headquarters. They team up, but come across King Boo, who had been posessed. The battle with King Boo gives reinforcements time to arrive, and they blast the three far away from the HQ.
Players have to knock out as many of the enemy fighters that appear. The blast ratio for them is higher than usual, while the player's blast ratio is normal. There are many different difficulties available of Multi-man Smash.
Home Run Contest
The player has to attack a Sandbag as much as possible within 10 seconds, and hit them with a Home Run Bat to send it flying as far as possible.
In the vault, the player can choose from a number of options.
- Trophies, where the player can view all of their trophies, buy new ones, and play Trophy Rush to win new ones. The player can also arrage trophies and set a background, and save the image.
- Sound Test, where the player can set the commonity of songs for stages, and listen to them.
- Album, where the player can view any screenshot they took after pausing the game in a match.
- Replay, where the player can view replays of battles that were saved.
- Records, where the player can view their records, such as most used character, total play time, etc.
- Achievements that the player can clear in the game. They receive trophies, music, and custom moves when these are cleared.
- Tips, where the player can scroll through a list of tips that normally appear in the loading screen.
- Credits, where the player can view the games credits, and they can play a small game where they have to attack the credited names to fill up a picture, like in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U. The credits also automatically play after finishing a game of Smash and Find.
- Stage Builder, a mode where the player can draw their own stages, and add elements such as fire or water to it. The player can save a maximum of 50 custom stages in the game.
- Masterpieces, where the player can play a short part of the classic games that the fighters come from. Masterpieces available are;
There is a total of 79 playable characters in the game, with 40 default and 39 unlockable, counting the Mii Fighters as one.
There is a total of 68 stages available in the game, with almost every character series having at least one stage. In addition, some stages are of their own series, of which there are no characters included.
Super Mario series
- Bullet Bill
- Hammer Bro
- Koopa Troopa
- Paper Goomba
- Piranha Plant
Donkey Kong series
- Tiki Buzz
- Tiki Goon
- Crazee Dayzee
- Fly Guy
- Shy Guy
The Legend of Zelda series
- Green ChuChu
- Like Like
- Bronto Burt
- Hot Head
- Phan Phan
- Plasma Wisp
- Waddle Dee
- Waddle Doo
Kid Icarus series
- Iridescent Flint Beetle
- Iridescent Glint Beetle
- Coil Snake
- Devil Car
- French Kiss of Death
Xenoblade Chronicles series
- Hand Bunnit
- Mell Lizard
Golden Sun series
- Flutter Seed
Super Smash Bros. series
- Risen (Fire Emblem)
- Beehive (Animal Crossing)
- Sneaky Spirit (Rhythm Heaven / Rhythm Paradise)
- Gyorian (Chibi-Robo!)
- Polar Bear (Ice Climber)
- Ghost (Find Mii / StreetPass Mii Quest)
- Mettaur (Mega Man)
- Eggrobo (Sonic the Hedgehog)
- Pooka (Dig-Dug)
Majority of the items from the previous games have been confirmed to be returning. In addition, a number of new items were also added.
New Assist Trophies
Returning Assist Trophies
- Despite there being no playable character or stage from the Nintendogs series, there is a section for the series in the trophies section.
- In the PAL versions of the game, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. and Nintendo Letterbox are erroneously labelled as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Swapnote in My Music, despite those being the American names.