Super Smash Bros. Devastation is the newest game in the Super Smash Bros. series for both Nintendo's new console and handheld console, developed by Sora Ltd. and published by Nintendo. The game features some new stuffs but also some returning features like the transformation in the middle of the match. This game features some new modes which live with some old and returning ones.
New features and characteristics
- The game's speed is about the same as the Smash for WiiU/Nintendo 3DS versions, a little faster.
- There are some techniques that returns from previous games like wavedash, pivot, short hop fast fall L-cancel, DACUS, Momentum cancelling and double-jump cancel.
- The short hop has received his own button. In the GameCube configuration is the Y button.
- Air dodge can be performed in two different ways: in the Melee style (without helpless state) or in Brawl style. Some character like Mario, Yoshi, Samus and Kirby have Melee air dodge, some other ones like Bowser, DK, King Dedede and Olimar have Brawl air dodge.
- Moves don't become weaker after using them usually.
- Another version for stages: Alpha stages with the same layout as Battlefield.
- Some character can transform into other in the middle of the fight. They are Zelda/Sheik, Young Link (between his masks) and Samus between her suits.
- On screen damage meter appears a little different: instead using 8 standard colors (red, blue, yellow, green, orange, cyan, purple and black) each character uses his dojo color (for example, Mario has red, Luigi green, Kirby pink etc.) for the background.
- Camera can be turned in 360° so you can see in the foreground.
- Each Assist Trophy now has his own Stamina meter. It's seen close to the caller character's damage meter. Pokémons in the Pokéballs don't have any stamina.
- Some new modes like Arena Mode, Smash Tower, Reward Match as well as the return of the Story Mode from Brawl.
Here there is the complete roster. There are 65 characters (12 more than Smash for WiiU/Nintendo 3DS counting Mii Fighters and Mewtwo). There are 45 starter characters and 20 unlockable ones.
Here there are the stages in the game. There will be two different sets of stages: one for the handheld version and one for the console version. There will also be an Omega, Alpha and Delta (console only) version of stages: Omega is like Final Destination, Alpha is like Battlefield and Delta is bigger. There won't be any old stage.
There are also some unlockable stages. See a complete gallery and a brief description here
Smash mode is the heart of the game: fight against some other players near to you and have fun! There are three variations of the Smash mode
Fight with up to 3 friends in a Time, Stock, Coin or Bonus Smash.
Smash: 8-Players Smash
In this mode up to SEVEN friends can fight alongside you. Because of the number of the players, 6-Players, 7-Players and 8-Players Smash can only be done in some big stages.
Smash: Special Smash
Fight with some special conditions. Here there the conditions:
- Damage: 300%/Stamina (start with 300% of damage or have a stamina meter with 150HP)
- Size: Tiny/Giant (all the characters are tiny or giant)
- Head: Flower/Bunny/Wing/Metal (fight with a flower from the Lip's Stick, a Bunny Hood, a Winged Cap or a Metal Cap)
- Body: Clear/Raccoon/Rocket Belt/Screw/Back Shield/X Speed (all the players are invisible, with a Raccoon Tail from the Super Leaf, with a Rocket Belt, with a Screw Attack, with a Back Shield or with an X Speed)
- Status: Curry/Reflect (use the Superspicy Curry or the Franklin Badge for all the duration of the fight)
- Gravity: light/heavy (jump high and land slowly or vice versa)
- Speed: Slow/Fast (the fight's speed is x 0.5 or x 1.5)
- Match Rule: High Knockback/All-Stars (the knockback is x 2.5 or each stock is a different character)
Modes: Smash Tower
In this mode, you have to pick 5 character which represent your stocks and you have to fight in up to 100 floors, which represent each one a challenge. The challenges can be a Free-for-All, a Giant match with up to 2 allies, a Team battle with up to 3 allies, a Metal match with an ally, a match with a special condition from the Special Smash (except for the High Knockback and the All-Stars) and an item-only match. Here there are the bosses (who also appear as bosses in the stages and changes between the versions). How long can you survive?
Each boss is fought in the Omega version of the stage in which is fought in the Boss Fight Mode (for example, Medusa is fought in Palace in the Sky, Golem in the Gates of Hell etc.)
Modes: Arena Mode
This mode is very similar to the Classic Mode from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. The only difference is that you fight against customized fighters from the start. By winning this mode once, you will get the Alt. trophy of the used character.
Modes: Games & More
Here there are some funny modes from 1 or 2 players.
Games & More: Classic Mode
The Classic Mode from Super Smash Bros. for Brawl is returned so you have to do a series of fights with pre-decided series and characters. See here to have more information.
Games & More: All-Stars Mode
Fight against the entire roster of the game in this exciting mode. Because of this mode is unlocked by unlocking each character, see here for accurate information.
Games & More: Stadium
Challenge against yourself (or other players, why not?) in some interesting and exciting minigames:
- Target Smash: this mode returns from Brawl but each character has his own test level, like Melee. By completing the Target Smash with each character with a medium time of 1.5 minutes, you will unlock Snag the Trophies.
- Board the Platforms: jump on ten platforms in the lesser time, like in the original game. Each character has his own level and his layout resembles the Target Smash's. By completing Board the Platforms with each character with a medium time of 1.5 minutes, you will unlock the Reach the Top minigame.
- Race to the Finish: race to the finish in this exciting minigame. Fight against Smart Bombs and Lava Platforms to reach the finish. By completing Race to the Finish with an average time of 1.5 minutes, you will unlock Survive.
- Snag the Trophies: put in the basket at least 3 of the 5 trophies which fall from the sky. If you do the task, you can keep the reward.
- Reach the Top: this challenge is very similar to a fusion of Race to the Finish and Board the Platforms but in vertical: you must jump on ten platform (the tenth is on the top) in the lesser time you can. Like Target Smash, the tower is different for each character.
- Survive: In a little, floating stage, you must survive for 30 seconds with 2 flying Ornes and a Polar Bear.
Story Mode: Secret Battles
In this mode, you have to travel in lots of levels to save Nintendo world. This levels, unlike Subspace Emissary, have layouts from other existing Nintendo games except for a few. To read detailed information, see here.
Here there are the online options.
Online: For Fun
Fight against unknown players all over the world in a 4-players match. All items are on and all stages, except for Battlefield, Big Battlefield and Final Destination, can be the theatre of the match. There are also team battles
Online: For Glory
This fight is serious: in fact its results count for the Global Smash Power, unlike For Fun's. The method of the fight is a 4-player Smash (free-for-all or team battle 2 v 2) or a 1 vs 1 match. All items are off and only the Omega or Alpha versions of stages can accommodate the fight.
Online: Global Smash Power
Check you current Global Smash Power: this is you ranking in the world and you can only see how many people are worse than you. For the last 5% of the player there's shown the same rank.
In this mode, from one to 4 teams can be chosen for some common characteristics and you can support your team: in fact you can do some special fights and add some points for your side. For example, if the teams are Mario Bros. with Mario and Luigi and Koopa Family with Bowser and Bowser Jr., you can do some special fights in pre-chosen stages and pick on of these four characters. The winner's (or winners') team, has points added.
Here, you can check you Trophies, Photos, Replays, Masterworks, Records, Milestones, Music and change your Stages' music.
Masterworks deserve one more word. Here there's a list of the Masterworks and the playtime:
- Fire (Game & Watch, 120 seconds)
- Donkey Kong (NES, 120 seconds)
- Mario Bros. (NES, 120 seconds)
- Donkey Kong 3 (NES, 120 seconds)
- Balloon Fight (NES, 120 seconds)
- Super Mario Bros. (NES, 240 seconds)
- Super Mario Bros.: the Lost Levels (NES 240 seconds)
- Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES, 240 seconds)
- Metroid (NES, 240 seconds)
- Kid Icarus (NES, 120 seconds)
- The Legend of Zelda (NES, 10 minutes)
- The Legend of Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES, 240 seconds)
- Kirby's Dream Land (GB, 120 seconds)
- Kirby's Adventure (NES, 120 seconds)
- Dr. Mario (GB, 240 seconds)
- Super Mario Kart (SNES, 240 seconds)
- Super Mario World (SNES, 120 seconds)
- Super Metroid (SNES, 240 seconds)
- EarthBound (SNES, 10 minutes)
- F-Zero (SNES, 120 seconds)
- Yoshi (SNES, 120 seconds)
- Fire Emblem (FC, 240 seconds)
- Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 120 seconds)
- Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES, 120 seconds)
- Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES, 120 seconds)
Here there are the items:
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/Items
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/Assist Trophies
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/Pokéballs
Here there are some random things:
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/In-Game techniques and physics
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/List of Palutena's Guidance Dialogues
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/List of Scenario Elements
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/Event Matches
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/List of On-Screen Appearance
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/List of taunts
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/Tier List
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/List of trailers
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/Unlockable contents
- Super Smash Bros. Devastation/List of Special movements
In this section, you can say what do you think about this game:
Thank you! Your opinion is important!
There are two DLC packs: Players' choices and Developer's choices. Each one contains five characters for a total number of ten new characters.
DLC pack 1: Players' choices
These characters were all chosen by fans of the game.