|Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (2002)|
Sceptile is a newcomer character in Super Smash Bros. Combat and is unlocked from the start. Sceptile comes from the Pokémon series, making his debut in the third generation as the final form of the Grass Starter, Treecko. Although Sceptile fell out of relevance for a while, the remakes of those games, Pokémon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, gave Sceptile a brand new Mega Evolution with a Dragon sub-typing, giving him some brand new abilities.
Sceptile is a character who is rather balanced, being a jack-of-all-trades of sorts, being equally fast and strong, while not specializing in either. However, Sceptile does have several features that really help define his playstyle. Sceptile has two types of attacking moves at his disposal, being his projectiles and his powerful physical moves. Sceptile's projectiles are weak, but they can be fired very quickly and are great for spacing, while his physical moves are great for finishing off combos, but their startup lag makes them rather difficult to use otherwise. A player using Sceptile must be able to strike a balance between the two in order to be used to his full potential.
Of course, physical moves aren't all Sceptile has. Sceptile's Down Special, Grass Knot, gives him tremendous stage control due to it being very hard to notice and deadly if it is stepped on by giving Sceptile an opening to attack. Sceptile's recovery is also very difficult to predict, as the path he takes with his primary recovery move, Acrobatics, is random each time it is used, making him very difficult to predict for newer players. Sceptile's downfall is his light weight for his size, making him a large target that is easy to knock around, and his aerial momentum is rather slow in both fall speed and airspeed. However, these faults don't stop Sceptile from being a deadly force to be reckoned with.
- Neutral Attack - Sceptile slashes the blades on his arms at opponents several times.
- Forward tilt - Sceptile headbutts forwards.
- Up tilt - Sceptile stands on his hands and kicks upwards before returning to normal.
- Down tilt - Sceptile smacks his tail into the ground. If this hits opponents they are damaged.
- Dash attack - Sceptile spits out a seed from his mouth which flies forwards before the seed disappears.
- Forward smash - Sceptile charges up before slashing with the blades on his arms.
- Up smash - Sceptile slashes both his blades above his head.
- Down smash - Sceptile swings his tail in front of him and then behind him.
- Neutral aerial - Sceptile swings around with his tail outstretched.
- Forward aerial - Sceptile slashes in front of him.
- Back aerial - Sceptile jerks his tail upwards.
- Up aerial - Sceptile straightens up head-first.
- Down aerial - Sceptile goes down head-first into the ground.
- Grab - Sceptile grabs with his hand.
- Pummel - Sceptile slashes the opponent with his blades.
- Forward throw - Sceptile kicks the opponent forwards.
- Back throw - Sceptile bats the opponent away with his tail.
- Up throw - Sceptile headbutts the opponent upwards into the air.
- Down throw - Sceptile whacks his tail straight onto the opponent.
- Floor attack - Sceptile spins around with his tail outstretched, whacking any opponent nearby.
- Edge attack - Sceptile jumps up into the air and slashes with one of his blades.
Special Set A
- Standard Special - Bullet Seed - Sceptile spits a barrage of seeds at opponents in front of him. The seeds are rather weak individually, but when high amounts hit opponents they can be great for racking up percentage.
- Side Special - Dual Chop - Sceptile springs forwards before slashing twice with both blades. Any opponent hit by one will be hit by the rest.
- Up Special - Acrobatics - Sceptile leaps into the air before performing a series of acrobatics to get higher and higher. Each time Sceptile uses this move, the sequence and position of the acrobatics changes, making this move difficult to predict.
- Down Special - Grass Knot - Sceptile plants a trap on the ground, while remains there until it is hit. When an opponent touches the trap, they are tied up in grass and must break free, but Sceptile can come over and deliver a devestating attack to send them flying while they try. Only one of these traps can be onstage at a time.
- Final Smash - Leaf Storm - Sceptile flies to the side of the stage and begins firing leaves at opponents at an alarmingly quick rate, sending any in their path flying.
Special Set B
- Standard Special - Mega Drain - Sceptile holds a ball of energy in front of him. If an opponent touches it, they are held by Sceptile and have their health drained. Sceptile heals from this attack, but the ball of energy is small and must be touched precisely.
- Side Special - X-Scissor - Sceptile chops both his blades in an X-like manner, sending opponents flying behind Sceptile if it hits.
- Up Special - Grass Pledge - Sceptile creates a pillar of vegetation beneath him and rides it upwards. The pillar stays in the air for five seconds following the attack and can be used as a platform in that time.
- Down Special - Screech - Sceptile screeches, paralyzing all opponents caught in the soundwave after using it. Great for use in dire circumstances.
- Final Smash - Outrage - Sceptile Mega-Evolves and begins roaring, causing giant blasts of energy to rain down onto the stage.
Taunts and Other Animations
- Side taunt - Sceptile takes the stick out of his mouth and twirls it before putting it back in.
- Up taunt - Sceptile spits out a seed, cleans it with his hands, then puts it back in his mouth.
- Down taunt - Sceptile lies down and promptly begins taking a nap.
- Victory animation 1 - Sceptile takes the stick out of his mouth, snaps it in half, and grins.
- Victory animation 2 - Sceptile lounges under a tree before grinning.
- Victory animation 3 - Sceptile performs Acrobatics before falling to the ground and looks up, smirking.
- Victory theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTKsrl0yL88 - A flourished version of the gym victory theme from OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire.
- Sceptile's default coloration
- Sceptile's shiny coloration
- A costume where Sceptile is wearing a cowboy hat
- Sceptile with a suit and tie
- Sceptile with a red and blue coloration, in reference to the Dragon sub-typing of it's Mega Evolution
- A coloration based on that of Haxorus
- A coloration based on that of Goodra
- A coloration based around pink, in reference to the Pink Celebi who is the partner of Sceptile's pre-evolution, Grovyle, in the Mystery Dungeon games.