Super Mario Mages, is an entirely new spin-off series in the Mario series for the Nintendo 3DS. The game uses Mario characters, casting spells and using potions against eachother in tournaments or duels for fun. The game involves a story and lots of spells;
|Super Mario Mages|
|Developer(s)||Hammers R Us Inc.|
|Media Included||Nintendo 3DS Cartridge|
The gameplay is somewhat similar to Doodle Hex in form of dueling with magic. Players will fight it out in a stage on the top screen, while the person using the 3DS will be drawing signs to cast spells on the bottom screen. The aim of the game is to defeat opponents by getting there Health Points bar down to nothing. To do this you must cast lots of different spells and make combo attacks. Players in story mode will travel Mushroom Kingdom areas and seek rivals or shops to buy spells! Spells include the Ink Squirt Spell, Bob-Omb Blast Spell, Green Shell Shot Spell and lots more! There are also Fused Spells which are forming two spells into a completely new one, such as if putting the Bob-Omb Blast spell with the Ink Squirt spell you would get the Inksplosion Spell, these moves are very special because you must find a Mage who can fuuse spells, you will also get a sign to draw to cast the spell. Toadsworth, also manages a shop, where you can buy potions, these potions being bought then can be used at any time in battle even when used once! Unlike the Doodle Hex game, this game lacks the pets, but brings a new mode of Team Duel and Tag Duel where players will work in teams.
There are a variety of modes in Super Mario Mages;
- Story Mode
- Tournament Mode
- Duel Mode
- Normal Duel (1 Player and up to 3 Computers)
- Deluxe Dule (1 Player and 4-7 Computers)
- Tag Duel (1 Player and 3, 5 or 7 Computers)
- Team Duel (1 Player and 7 Computers)
- Online Mode
- Mission Mode
- Options Mode
There are 36 playable Mario characters in Super Mario Mages, some being default and some being unlockable;
These catergories are used to make certain characters have advantages and disadvantages;
- All-Around: All-Around mages preform well in every stat, but the disadvantage is that they don't have one brilliant stat.
- Technique: Technique mages are good at drawing their spells perfectly and try their best to preform them as good as the character can, they lack defence though.
- Power: Power mages spells can be very powerful and can take do a lot of damage, they're quite defensive too, their disadvantage is that they take a while to preform spells fastly.
- Speedy: Speedy mages are good at preforming their spells very fastly, their disadvantage is that their attacks aren't very powerful and don't do much damage as normal.
- Defence: Defence mages are good at defending themselves from alot of attacks and don't take much damage, their disadvantage is that they lack technique.
- Tricky: Tricky mages are very good at preforming hard to draw spells, but the disadvantage is that these spells are very hard to pull off!
There are 8 out of 36 of the roster availible from the start;