|August 8, 2014|
|Single Player, Multiplayer, Minigames|
|Media Included||Wii U Disc|
Super Mario Bros. Experience is a Super Mario Bros game for the Wii U. The game is a "reboot" of the Super Mario Bros series. In fact, the game itself will start a sub-series for the Super Mario Bros series.
Mario, Luigi, Yellow Toad, Blue Toad, and Peach are in Peach's Castle having lunch. The crew then hears an airship coming, and the crew immediately rushes to the rooftop to see the incoming threat. Bowser laughs and throws a big Bob-omb onto the roof, causing everyone to run away. However, Bowser snatches Peach and boards the airship just as Mario and the crew realize that isn't with them. They see the airship fly away, but then remember the big Bob-omb, which explodes. The castle is unharmed, but Mario and the crew land in front of the castle hard. They soon run in the direction that Bowser's airship was going in.
The crew fight their way through 10 worlds, dealing with nasty Koopalings before finally making it to Bowser at his castle. A Super-Mario-Bros-3-like battle issues, with Mario being victorious. However, it is a trick and Bowser, now Dry Bowser from soaking in the lava, escapes with Peach to his true castle. Mario and the others fight Dry Bowser and Giant Bowser there. Peach is finally rescued afterwards.
Super Mario Bros. Experience takes previous elements from the Super Mario Bros. series. However, there are some differences. One is the new ability to switch between the foreground and the background. The player can enter an orange warp pipe to switch between the two. As such, in multiplayer, one player can explore areas in the normal foreground while another can grab a Star Coin in the background.
Another new feature is that players can "fuse" items to make new ones. For example, one can merge a Shell Power-Up with a Fire Flower to make a Fire Shell Power-Up.
A new feature that separates Super Mario Bros. Experience from the other SMB games is the addition of a health meter. Mario starts with two hearts. When he collects a power-up, like the Fire Flower, an extra heart will appear.
An old feature from Super Mario Bros. 3 is that the final level in every world is an airship level, but the player must overcome a castle before entering the airship.
There is also a new quadruple jump that is unlocked after World 10 is completed.
The background and foreground now take an approach the Donkey Kong Country Returns did, to be detailed, realistic, and sometimes have events that happen in the background. The landscape is now angled, making the landscape (the foreground and platforms Mario stands on) 3D rather than 2D. The textures of the characters, like Mario, are given a slightly more realistic look, while enemies and bosses, including Bowser, still have the normal Mario textures seen in New Super Mario Bros. U.
- World 1: Mushroom Plains - The first world of the game. It is a nice, simple, grassy area where Peach's Castle is located.
- World 2: Lindin Desert - The second world, a large desert with strong winds, pyramids, and lots of sand!
- World 3: Seastone Sands - The third world, an array of islands and water. It's home to Cheep-Cheeps, and worse, Cheep-CHOMPS!
- World 4: Vine Forest - The fourth world, a large forest littered with giant Koopa shells and vines. A Fire Flower would surely come in handy!
- World 5: Frosted Snowland - The fifth world, covered in snow and ice. Use the Penguin Suit to avoid slipping!
- World 6: Giant World - The sixth world, where nearly everything is huge! Mega Mario would fit in perfectly! Knock 'em out!
- World 7: Rocky Mountains - The seventh world, an array of tall mountains! Get a Propeller Mushroom or a Super Acorn, you'll need them.
- World 8: Flower Factory - The eighth world, a very large, but deadly, factory! Watch out for the giant gears and toxic acid!
- World 9: Sky Land - The ninth world, suspended in the clouds. Flying power-ups and jump aids would make your run here much easier.
- World 10, Part 1: Bowser Gates - The first part of the final world, you must make it through here to proceed in your adventure.
- World 10, Part 2: Bowser Volcano - The second part of the final world, you must overcome fire enemies, falling debris, and the master himself: Bowser!
- World A: Bonus World A - An extra world with more levels.
- World B: Bonus World B - An extra world with more levels and remakes of old ones from other SMB and NSMB games.
- World C: Bonus World C - An extra world with more levels and bonus levels.
- World D: Bonus World D - An extra world with remakes of old levels from other SMB and NSMB games.
- World E: Crown World - The final extra world with levels, old, new, and bonus, with Dark Bowser as an extra challenge.
- Boom Boom - The boss of the towers through Worlds 1 to 6. He gets a new ability each time you face him.
- Giga Koopa - The boss of the towers through World 7 to 10. He attacks by spitting fireballs and pounding on the ground.
- Kamek - The boss of the second tower in World 10. He summons magical projectiles and enemies to aid him in battle.
- Castle: Mega Goomba
- Airship: Larry Koopa
- Castle: Mummipokey
- Airship: Roy Koopa
- Castle: Cheepbot
- Airship: Lemmy Koopa
- Castle: Petey Piranha
- Airship: Justin T. Koopa
- Castle: Super Cooligan
- Airship: Wendy O. Koopa
- Castle: Mega Koopa
- Airship: Iggy Koopa
- Airship 2: Bowser Jr.
- Castle: Super Thwomp
- Airship: Kris Koopa
- Castle: Koopaborg
- Airship: Morton Koopa Jr.
- Castle: Piranha Paraplant
- Airship: Ludwig
Bowser Gates/Bowser Volcano
- Castle: Bowser
- Airship: Bowser Jr.
- Bowser Castle: Dry Bowser/Giant Bowser
- Super Mushroom: Gives Mario two extra hearts, allowing him to absorb more damage before dying. The extra hearts disappear and cannot be replenished when both are gone from taking damage.
- Heart: Replenishes one heart of Mario's health bar.
- Gold Heart: Replenishes Mario's entire health bar.
- Fire Flower/Fire Mario: Allows Mario to shoot fireballs that damage or kill enemies.
- Super Leaf/Raccoon Mario: Allows Mario to "float" in the air and fly when his P-Meter is fully charged.
- Ice Flower/Ice Flower: Allows Mario to shoot snowballs that temporarily freeze enemies.
- Thunder Flower/Thunder Mario: Allows Mario to shoot lightning balls that stun or kill enemies, they will also admit a shockwave when it hits something, letting it stun other nearby enemies as well. His spin jump is also electrified, turning it into an attack that stuns or kills nearby enemies.
- Super Acorn/Flying Squirrel Mario: Allows Mario to glide around and perform a flying squirrel jump to reach higher platforms.
- Propeller Mushroom/Propeller Mario: Allows Mario to zip to high heights, higher than a flying squirrel jump.
- Volt Mushroom/Volt Mario: Gives Mario the same abilities as Thunder Mario, but has an extra ability to make admit a small shockwave whenever he ground pounds that stuns enemies. The higher Mario is before he pounds the ground, the larger the shockwave will be.
- Cape Feather/Cape Mario: Lets Mario glide through the air and turns his spin jump into a cape attack.
- Hammer Flower/Hammer Mario: Allows Mario to throw hammers at enemies that damage or kill them.
- Boomerang Flower/Boomerang Mario: Allowa Mario to throw a boomerang at his enemies that damage or kill them.
- Penguin Suit/Penguin Mario: Gives Mario the abilities of Ice Mario plus a belly slide that can damage enemies that Mario rams into. Mario also doesn't slip on icy platforms.
- Mini Mushroom/Mini Mario: Makes Mario tiny, letting him walk on the surface of the water and up and down walls and ceilings. He can also fit through tiny Warp Pipes.
- Blue Shell Power-Up/Shell Mario: Puts a blue shell on Mario's back, letting him ram into enemies like a Koopa Shell whenever Mario dashes.
- Heat Zap Mushroom/Heat Zap Mario [NEW!]: Lets Mario shoot heat rays from his hands, damaging or killing enemies. However, enemies that are too small, like Goombas, Buzzy Beetles, etc., will walk right underneath the ray.
- Mega Mushroom/Mega Mario: Makes Mario HUGE for a short time. He will destroy almost everything in his path in this form! However, he will lose his current power-up and turn into Super Mario when he finishes a level.
- 1-Up Mushroom: Gives Mario an extra life.
- 5-Up Star: Give Mario five extra lives.
- Super Star/Invincible Mario: Makes Mario invincible, letting him defeat enemies by simply running into them. His spped and jump height are also increased.
- Invincibility Leaf/White Raccoon Mario: Is the Super Leaf and Super Star combined. Mario's P-Meter is also twice as fast. This assist item appears after dying 5 times.
- P-Wing/P-Mario: Allows Mario to fly unlimitedly throughout a course. It also makes Mario invincible. Mario reverts to Super Mario at the end of a level. This item appears after Mario has died 9 times.
Power-ups can be fused at the orange Fuse House in World 1. They can also fuse if two power-ups touch each other in a level. Some Power-Ups require Fuse Mushrooms or Fuse Stars in order to be made. It is worth noting that some of the power-ups from the list above can be made via fusing as well.
- Bomb Flower/Bomb Mario (Fire Flower + Thunder Flower): Allows Mario to throw bombs at enemies.
- Frozen Mushroom/Frozen Mario (Ice Flower + Super Mushroom): Only able to be obtained by fusing, it allows Mario to summon icy platforms that can be walked across. He can also walk across lava and water by automatically summoning these platform upon contact. Mario also can shoot ice balls and doesn't slip on ice. He turns to Ice Mario at the end of a level.
- 10-Up Star (Fuse Star + Fuse Star) [NEW!]: Gives Mario 10 extra lives.
- Fire Shell Power-Up/Fire Shell Mario (Blue Shell Power-Up + Fire Flower) [NEW!]: Gives Mario the abilities of Fire Mario and Shell Mario.
- Burning Mushroom/Burning Mario (Fire Flower + Fuse Mushroom): Only able to be obtained by fusing, it turns Mario into a giant fireball if he fills his Fire Meter, which can be done by dashing. Mario will knock out all enemies he runs into in this state. He can also shoot fireballs like Fire Mario. He turns to Fire Mario at the end of a level.