|Skip and Sqak Returns!|
|Publisher(s)|| Nintendo (Wii and 3DS)
Sony (Playstation 3 and Vita) Microsoft (Xbox 360)
|Platform(s)||Nintendo Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
| (Wii, PS3, Xbox 360)|
November 15 2011 (NA)
November 25 2011 (EU)
December 15 2011 (AUS)
January 6 2012 (JP)
(3DS and PS Vita)
|Single Player, Multi Player|
|Genre(s)||Platform, Adventure, Comedy|
|Series||Skip and Sqak (Series)|
|Successor||Skip and Sqak Back In Action (2012)|
|Media Included||Cartoon Violence, Mild Language, Comic Mischief|
Skip and Sqak Returns is a 4 player platform game created by Namcom. It is released in November 15 2011 in North America, November 25 2011 in Europe, December 15 2011 in Australia, and January 6 2012 in Japan. The game involves Skip, Sqak, Croco, and Tubby going on an adventure to save the world from X2's Island Tizer 2 and rescue Cynder and Robin who've been captured to build it.
Development of the game began on November 2006, taking Namcom nearly 5 years to develop the game.
It is developed for the Wii, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in November 2011, and PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS in April 2012. The game was re-released on the Wii U, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2014.
The game is played as the same as the first game only with 4 characters to play as. The worlds you travel in are each in their own setting as the first game does, involving film parodies and video game references. The 4 heroes have health bars with a number of hearts and when they take too much damage and lose all their hearts, they'll puff up like balloons and they'll be brought back if another player hits them. In solo mode, the player just pops when he/she runs out of health.
Each character has their own abilities: Skip can swim faster, Sqak can glide farther, Croco can jump higher, and Tubby can do more damage at enemies. The enemies you encounter are once again Red Ants with each in different occupations, either Soilder, Stink Bug, or Mantis.
The bosses in the end of each world are members of the SSSSS in vehicles that have weakspots you need to hit in order to defeat them.
There are also levels where the heroes ride on certian vehicles, like the Rocket, River Board, and Turret like the first game. So yeah, the game is almost exactly like the first game.
Originally, Namcom hinted that the 4th Game in the series will be released in Fall 2012 in September 15 2006. Later in November 12 2006, Namcom noted that the possible 4th installment will be on the Next Gen Consoles on the PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360 (since it was originally going to be Skip and Sqak Gateway To Dream World but the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions were scrapped when Namcom wanted the game to be a Wii Exsclusive).
In January 27 2007, Namcom revealed that a Skip and Sqak game will come out on the Wii, PS3, and 360 on 1UP.com which many fans believe Skip and Sqak 4 is being released. Concept Art was uploaded on the internet in July 2007 with the remake of old environments from the first game. Namcom also announced that the untitled game would bring back old moves from the first game.
In January 2008, The game was currently in the title Skip and Sqak 4 which Namcom claimed to be the "Best Game In The Franchise". In June 2008, A Sneak Peek Trailer was uploaded on Youtube quicky getting over a million views at the end of the week. Production of the game finally began on November 2008 with the game being built as a 2D sidescroller with 3D graphics, as the cutscenes are made with Anime Animation from the Anime Series.
In May 2009, the game's production was considered "on hiatus" until July. Namcom showed screenshots of 3D redesigns of Great Pond, Mud Creek, Black Water Stream and Mouse Kingdom so far. They mentioned their upcoming game will have a remake levels of the first game. In the June 2009 issue of Nintendo Power, Namcom showed a sneek peek of a advertisment where we see the backs Skip and Sqak with the words "They're coming back soon..." with the platform slogan only on the Wii, Xbox 360 and even the PS3.
In June 2010, the game was revealed to be known as Skip and Sqak Returns! being developed on Multiple Consoles. The project is believed to be a remake of the first game, but it turns out it is actually a sequel since the word "Returns" on the title refers to the way how the game is played like a 2D sidescroller with fimiliar worlds return.
In June 27 2011, a Downloadable Demo is available on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Wii Ware. The game also shows that only 4 characters are being playable, however the screenshots show Skip, Sqak, Croco, and Tubby being playable but Imp is confirmed to be with them along the adventure along with Queen Aleena. It is finally shown that Imp just rides on Tubby's Shoulder and Aleena gives the gang hints when they're stuck.
The game also has heavy advertisments on the Internet, Magazines, Game Stores, and TV, which brings about 1 million people wanting to buy the game on the release date. The game was originally going to be released in May 2012, but due to production near complete, the game was released in November 2011.
Namcom later added a DLC, Skip and Sqak Lost Islands only on the PSN, Xbox Live, E shop and Wii Ware.
In the Blue Ant Palace Balcony, Robin and Cynder are busy building a machine that can produce more recycling. While Skip, Sqak, Croco, Imp, and Tubby were napping beside the girls, Red Ant Saucers led by Professor X2 attack the palace and kidnap Cynder and Robin to create the Island-Tizer 2. The five decide to save their freinds and save the world again.
In Great Pond, the gang encounter Skip's mother Queen Aleena who's locked in a cage by the Red Ants. After freeing her, she decides to join them on their quest. They find out X2 is syphoning Light Iku from the Pasiku Tower to turn it Dark, so once going to the top, X2 fights them in his Ant Rhino.
Once defeating it, X2 fleas to his saucer with all the Iku he stole. At Xoon, Secton is furious because Skip and Sqak are still alive and replaces X2 with Madame Rosalina, much to X2's shock. With Rosalina in charge, she orders X2's SSSSS members to invade the islands on their own.
The gang go to island after island defeating Coconuts in the Mouse Kingdom, Grounder at Mud Creek, Bigmouth at Black Water Stream, Gexy at Tikwando, Dr. Sakerine at the Underground Lab, Bully Bear at the Battle Feild, Hip and Hop at the Hot'N'Cold Topia, and Grubber at the Moon Base.
At Spooky Swamp, the gang fight Secton who is ordered by Rosalina to destroy them. After defeating Secton, the gang need to find Element Gems guarded by Guardian Monsters to power up the rocket so they can fly up to the Island-Tizer 2.
Once collecting all the Gems and defeating the monsters, the gang fly up to the Island-Tizer 2 where Rosalina attacks them in her Robot which the gang defeat by crashing it to the power source keeping the Tizer 2 alive, causing an explosion that sends the gang and the girls back to the palace balcony where the boys continue to nap.
Meanwhile, X2 who escaped with Rosalina promises to "kick her butt for playing him as a ping pong ball." This continues the next game.
- (ACT 1)
- Great Pond
- Mouse Kingdom
- Mud Creek
- Black Water Stream
- Underground Lab
- Battle Feild
- Hot'N'Cold Topia
- Moon Base
- Spooky Swamp
- (ACT 2)
- Damp Marsh
- Mice Village
- Muddy Mountain
- Dark Lagoon
- City Rooftops
- Testing Facility
- Enemy Base
- Cool Lakes and Warm Baths
- Deep Space
- Scary Cemetary
- Island-Tizer 2
- Crystal Dimension (Bonus World)
Trophies and AchievmentsEdit
The PS3 and Xbox 360 have trophies and achievments you earn in the game:
- Mama's Baby (Save Queen Aleena)
- Ha! That Never Gets Old! (Defeat Professor X2)
- You Are Scrooged (Save King Cheatsy)
- Rat Trap (Defeat Coconuts)
- Muddy Rescue (Save Queen Mudda)
- Pork Chopped (Defeat Grounder)
- Merm Aid (Save Queen Oceanica)
- Barf Up (Defeat Bigmouth)
- President Prejudice (Save President Konichiwa)
- Party Crash (Defeat Gexy Gecko)
- PriMATE (Save Dr. Tron)
- Feline Folly (Defeat Dr. Sakerine)
- Saving Duckleg (Save Colenol Duckleg)
- Just Bear With Me (Defeat Bully Bear)
- Icy You (Save Queen Icica)
- Dashin Through The Flames (Save Old King Coal)
- Twin Trouble (Defeat Hip and Hop)
- In Space, No One Can Save You (Save Queen Moona)
- That Snot Nice! (Defeat Grubber)
- Night Of The Living Red (Save Death)
- Secton's Revenge (Defeat Secton)
- Peace At Last (Defeat Madame Rosalina)
- Mouse In House (Save all captured mice)
- Invincible! (Get through any level without taking a hit at all)
- Attack From Above (Jump on 100 Enemies)
- Millionaire! (Collect 1,000,000 Coins)
- Pure Gold (Collect all Gold Medals)
- The Fast And The Craziest (Collect all Gold Watches)
- Bonus Prize (Complete the Bonus World)
- (ACT 1)
- Professor X2
- Bigmouth Angler
- Gexy Gecko
- Dr. Sakerine
- Bully Bear
- Hip and Hop
- (ACT 2)
- Venus Flower
- The Great Mud
- Toxic Shark
- Anime Dragon
- Robot Gorilla
- Giant Worm
- Chilli and Spicy Dragon Twins
- Grave Tarantula
- Madame Rosalina
- BONUS BOSS Crystal Goliath
The enemies are once again the evil aliens, the Red Ants.
- Ant Grunt
- Ant Soldier
- Stink Ant
- Ant Maid
- Water Ant
- Ant Cicida
- Zombie Ant
- Ant Ceterian
- Fire Ant
- Snow Ant
- Ant Balloon
- Ant Beetle
- Ant Charger
- Ant Brute
- Ant Moskito
- Ant Walker
- Ant Kaboom
- Ant Frog: These ants in frog suits can swim underwater AND walk on land. Watch out for their explosive bubbles.
- Ant Ballerina: These tall ants in tutu's can spin faster than an Ant Maid.
- Ant Saucer: These ants are in small saucers, but look out! They can fire lasers on the ground.
- Ant Belcher: These ants are fat from too much cola, and they can't run fast but they can barf cola balls at you.
- Ant Jumper: These ants are wearing spring shoes and they're jumping all over the place. Careful, these guys are fast.
- Ant Missile: These ants are riding on explosive missiles! If one chases you, run for your life!
Each minion in every world and serve as the primary enemies in the game.
- Ant Grunt
- Rat Bandits: rats who work for Coconuts.
- Hoggies: redneck warthogs who work for Grounder. They talk in a hillbilly manner.
- Lilmouths: small mutated anglers who work for Bigmouth. They chomp anything that moves.
- Wannabes: funky lizards who work for Gexy. They try to dress up and act "cool" like their boss.
- Fleas: mutated fleas who work for Dr. Sakerine. They have long nails, because they hate clipping.
- Teds: small bear mercenaries who work for Bully. They show no mercy to their enemies.
- Lava and Snow Weasels: red hot and freezing blue weasels who work for Hip and Hop.
- Flubbs: living blobs that work for Grubber. Their gooey heads are kept in robot bodies.
- Voodoo KoKo: mutated koko birds that work for Secton. They act in a native tribe nature.
- Charrlez: snobby spiders who work for Rosalina. They have a habit of drinking tea and have great table manners.
The gang's friends have their own huts you can go in during your quest.
- Ralph, Sid, Tex and Snap run the Item Store
- Selena, Mia and Queen Kaida run the Save House
- Dib, Plumber and Roshan run the Arcade
- King Cheatsy runs the Smiley Cheatsy
- Loki Locust and Murphy Cricket run the Timer Rounder
- Dr. Tron runs his lab
The PS3 version of the game was re-released into the Greatist Hits in March 2012 due to the critical success of the game. The game is also the start of a new reboot to the Skip and Sqak series as it picked up more sequels connected to each other.