|Skip and Sqak (Remake)|
|Developer(s)||Yellow Apple Games|
|Platform(s)|| Wii U|
Nintendo Switch (Re-Released in 2018)
| (PS4, Wii U, PS Vita, Xbox One)|
May 9, 2015 (NA)
May 15, 2015 (EU)
May 24, 2015 (AUS)
June 4, 2015 (JP)
March 6, 2016 (NA)
March 11, 2016 (EU)
March 25, 2016 (AUS)
April 9, 2016 (JP)
April 10, 2018 (NA)
April 27, 2018 (EU)
May 5,2018 (AUS)
Summer 2018 (JP)
|Genre(s)||Action Adventure, Side Scroller|
|Series||Skip and Sqak|
|Successor||Skip and Sqak 2|
The game was later ported to the Nintendo Switch in April 2018 under the title "Skip and Sqak: Tropical Edition!!" that features new content exclusive from the original.
The game takes place in the Peacific Ocean (a parody of the Pacific Ocean) where several islands are the home of anthropomorphic animals.
The little critters are enjoying one peaceful day in their village on the tropical Sunny Villa Island until they are being attacked and locked in cages by the sinister reptiles, Lectroads, and their leader Emperor Dante who want to take over all the islands in the Peacific Ocean. A red bird named Sqak was fleeing from a group of Lectroads until he was rescued by a blue frog who hatches out of his egg. Sqak decides to name his new friend "Skip" and the two of them worked together to explore across many islands fighting Lectroads and rescuing caged Critters. At Fracas Factory, the duo fought and defeated the CEO Dr. Gearz who was working for Dante. At Amazonia Island, the duo confront Dante who sends his lackey Vizer Vego to attack Skip and Sqak, but Vego gets defeated and his damaged hover chair blasts him high into the sky.
Reading a blue print Vego dropped earlier, Skip and Sqak discovered that Dante prepares to destroy Sunny Villa island with a large cannon called the "Island-Blaster" powered by Amazonia's Volcano lava and place his kingdom in it's place. The duo head back to Sunny Villa and busted out their caged friends. Skip and Sqak decide to go stop the Island-Blaster only to get ambushed by Dante. After Skip and Sqak managed to defeat Dante, entire floor begins to shatter sending the three of them falling in the interior of the Island-Blaster full of lava. Skip manages to save Sqak and himself while Dante plummets and perishes in the lava. The final battle has severly damaged the Island-Blaster to explode sending the two hurling back to Sunny Villa Island. Skip and Sqak are now heroes of the Peacific Ocean islands.
In a secret ending, the gateway to a secret forest full of delicious fruits is unlocked if the player collects all the Miracle Fruits in the game.
The Main Characters reappear in this remake, while the game will introduce new characters.
- Imp: A purple long eared creature who acts as a checkpoint throughout Skip and Sqak's journey.
- Blatly: A green spider monkey who hosts the quiz mini games.
- Robin: An orange swallow bird who sells items for the pair to use in their journey.
- Makayla: A purple frog who lets the player see the concept art they collected. She later becomes Skip's love interest.
- Tubby: A big, yellow hippo who's the bartender of Sunny Villa's soda bar. He only appears in the Nintendo Switch version, where he sells special types of soda for Skip and Sqak to use on their journey.
- Mayor Cheatsy: A white rabbit who is the mayor of Sunny Villa Island. He wants the duo to give him Cheatsy Coins that are scattered across islands.
- Emperor Dante: The Main Antagonist and Final Boss of the game. He is the ruler of the Lectroads who plans to take over every single island in the Peacific Ocean. In the end, he fights Skip and Sqak at the Island-Blaster only to fall and perish in the lava that's fueling the machine.
- Vizer Vego: Dante's adviser and the game's Secondary Antagonist. He fights the duo on Amazonia Island but gets defeated and his hover chair malfunctions and blasts him off into deep space, never to be seen again for the rest of the game.
- Dr. Gearz: A robot inventor who is Dante's mechanic, building gadgets and vehicles for Lectroads.
- Queen Beetrovie: The Queen Bee of all the beehives in Bumble Bushes.
- King Shelligas: A Small Crab who is the king of Sea Side Beach.
- Douglas Digger: The foreman of the ant miners in Wasted Wasteland.
- Creepup: These lizards are found in every level. They are short and often come in groups.
- Munchion: Ill-tempered lectroads who will chase after Skip and Sqak with their razor sharp teeth.
- Terror-Dactyl: Winged lectroads who look like pterodactyl always fly in the air. These foes take three bops on the head to defeat.
- Zpark: Flying lectroads that can shield themsleves with an electrical force field.
- Belching Bob: Big, round lectroads who burp out explosive cherry bombs.
- Large Lug: Obese lectroads who take three hits to defeat.
- Lousy Lug: Large Lugs who wear helmets that protect themselves from jump attacks.
- Lump Lug: Large Lugs who wear chest armor, protecting their front sides.
- Slithering Sid: Snakes who slither across the floor, walls and cieling.
- Slippery Sid: Slithering Sids who are found climbing on vine very quickly. They wait for a few seconds before going back down and up.
- Springing Sid: Slithering Sids who coil up and spring in the air.
- Spiky Sid: Slithering Sids who have spikes on their back. They function they same way as the Slithering Sids.
- Sneaky Sid: Slithering Sids who hide underground. If Skip and Sqak get too close, they'll pop up from the ground and slither towards them.
- Spike Bomb: These little Lectroads that are only found in underwater areas trying to harm the duo with their spikes.
- Tongue Twisted: Chameleon-like Lectroads that try to snatch Skip and Sqak with their tongues if they get caught in their sight. They are found in both land and underwater areas.
- Elec-Trick: Lectroads that spit beams of electricity to electrocute Skip and Sqak.
The bosses in this game are members of "The Lectroad Gang" (excluding Dr. Gearz's Incinerator), an organization of Dante's toughest henchmen. This also includes sub bosses.
- Buzz: The boss of Sunny Villa. He is the commander of the Slithering Sids who are chopping down many trees on the island.
- Captain Spike: A pirate-dressed Lectroad who only appears in the segment "Docking Doomsday" where he pursues Skip and Sqak with his ship.
- Stormy: The boss of Sea Side Station. He is a skinny Lectroad who is creating a huge storm in Sea Side Station.
- Munching Mikey: The commander of the Munchions who pursues Skip and Sqak in the segment "Thrilling Drilling", trying to devour them in the Air Bullet. He is fought at the end of the segment where he swallows the segment's Goal Flower.
- Glutton Gloria: A female Lectroad who was born with no eyes and a strong sense of smell. She only appears in the segment "Glutton's Gorge" which is exclusive in the Nintendo Switch version.
- Loud Lug: The boss of Wasted Wasteland. He is big sleepy Lectroad carrying a long snake who's loud snoring causes the avalanches of the mountain.
- Gearz Incinerator: The boss of Fracas Factory. It is a large incinerator machine driven by Dr. Gearz trying to destroy Skip and Sqak.
- Vizer Vego
- Emperor Dante
Each fruit has a certain score which, up to 100, can give you an extra life.
- Apples (1)
- Grapes (5)
- Pineapple (10)
- Watermelon (20)
- Mango (Health)
- Heart Berries (Berries in the shape of a heart that will give you an extra life.)
- Steel Fruit (Heart Berries made of pure steel that can be bought at Robin's Garage. It can extend your health for one level only.)
- Miracle Fruit (Fruit made of crystal that Skip and Sqak must collect to unlock Fruity Falls. They can be achieved by rescuing all the critters per level and offering Cheatsy his coins.)
In each level, there are 5 critters locked in cages that you must free. Rescuing them all in each level rewards you with a rainbow fruit.
There are 3 Cheatsy Coins in each level, and Mayor Cheatsy will reward you with a rainbow fruit for each three sets.
Tokens are found in many segments that can be collected to buy things at Robin's Garage. They can also be won at Blatly's quiz challenges.
There are many types of flowers that Skip and Sqak encounter on their adventures:
- Prize Flower: Small, purple flowers that, when hit by the player, can spit out either a mango, token or a fruit. Bigger Prize Flowers can offer full health, loads of tokens, pineapples, or watermelons.
- Warp Flower: Big, yellow flowers that takes Skip and Sqak to the next part of the segment.
- Flutter Flower: Round, blue flowers that can fly upward by using it's leafs as wings. It will disappear once it gets hit by a hazard, resulting in Skip and Sqak falling.
- Goal Flower: A large pink flower that Skip and Sqak have to jump into in order to finish the level.
Achievements and Trophies
The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of this game have achievements and trophies that can be viewed at the link.
The levels in the game are islands in the middle of the Peacific Ocean being invaded by Lectroads. (B=Boss) (S=Shrine) (T=Tropical Edition)
- Sqak's House (Let's you look at your progress such as collectibles.)
- Makayla's Manor (Let's you load or save to another file, and allows you to look at some concept art.)
- Blatly's Fun House (Found in every island, Blatly will host questions about the island you're on. The more answers right, the more prizes you get with silver coins and Heart Fruits.)
- Robin's Garage (You can buy extra hit points, Steel Fruits, and Heart Fruits with the silver coins you've been collecting.)
- Mayor Cheatsy's Office (Mayor Cheatsy rewards you with Miracle Fruits if you offer him 3 Cheatsy Coins hidden in each segment.)
- Tubby's Cool Can (Only in "Tropical Edition!!". Tubby sells special soda that will help out Skip and Sqak during their travels.)
The gang's tropical island home being invaded by the Lectroads who are chopping down many trees to make battleships.
- 1-1 A New Bop
- 1-2 One, Two, Tree
- 1-3 Bumble Bushes
- 1-4 Flutter Flower Fields
- 1-5 Construction Destruction (Air Bullet)
- 1-B Hazordous Hassle (BOSS: Boss Buzz)
- 1-S Apple Shrine
- 1-T Supreme Stream (Tropical Edition only)
Beach islands ruled by King Shelligas. The Lectroads are taking over this place with their battleships.
- 2-1 Luau Kapow
- 2-2 Docking Doomsday
- 2-3 Sandcastle Cruising
- 2-4 Night Light Fight
- 2-5 High in the Sky
- 2-B Twisted Twister (BOSS: Stormy)
- 2-S Grape Shrine
A mixture of a rocky canyon and an arctic glacier, where Loud Lug's loud snoring is causing avalanches that endanger the ant miners.
- 3-1 Tar-Nation!
- 3-2 Teeter Totter Terror
- 3-3 Thrilling Drilling (Air Bullet)
- 3-4 Goodness Glaciers
- 3-5 Snow Plow Wow
- 3-B Rude Awakening (BOSS: Loud Lug)
- 3-S Pineapple Shrine
- 3-T Glutton's Gorge (Tropical Edition only)
Dr. Gearz's industrial factory that is building weapons for the Lectroads use.
- 4-1 Steaming Steampunk
- 4-2 Gruesome Gears
- 4-3 Conveyor Calamity
- 4-4 Wacky Wires
- 4-5 Awful Acid
- 4-B Furious Furnace (BOSS: Dr. Gearz's Incinerator)
- 4-S Berry Shrine
- 4-T Any Time Sewer (Tropical Edition only)
A jungle island with mysterious ancient temples.
- 5-1 Tropical Tyranny
- 5-2 Rainy Rainforest
- 5-3 Quicksand Scram
- 5-4 Torch-urous Temple
- 5-5 Volcano Oh No
- 5-B Versus Vego (BOSS: Vizer Vego)
- 5-S Banana Shrine
- 5-T Bamboo Villa (Tropical Edition only)
Dante is using a large weapon to destroy Sunny Villa! He must be stopped before the peaceful tropical island is gone forever.
- 6-1 Sunny Villa Peril
- 6-2 Rushing Rocket (Air Bullet)
- 6-3 Shipside Stowaway
- 6-4 Battleship Brawling
- 7-B Countdown Showdown (FINAL BOSS: Emperor Dante)
A secret jungle full of gigantic, delicious fruits that can be unlocked after collecting all Miracle Fruits and awakening every fruit shrine.
Skip and Sqak was first released in Summer 2015 for the Wii U, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and Xbox One. On the same day of this game's release, the full game is also available on the eShop, PlayStation Store and Xbox Games Store. In Spring 2016, the game was added into Windows 10's Microsoft Store and it can be played on either keyboard or Xbox 360/One controller.
In April 2018, this game was ported to the Nintendo Switch titled "Skip and Sqak: Tropical Edition!!" that has new modes and content exclusive from the original PS4, Wii U, PS Vita and Xbox One versions:
- "Vego's Vengeance" is a boss rush that is featured once the player beats the game on the very first time. Vego offers a potion to the bosses, which makes their attacks more intense and more hits to defeat.
- Segments that were dropped/scrapped from the original game will be featured in Tropical Edition as optional levels.
- Tubby the Hippopotamus makes a re-appearance in this port. He sells special soda cans for the duo to use on their adventure.