Samus Aran (サムス・アラン Samusu Aran) is the protagonist of the Metroid series. Samus Aran is an ex-Galactic Federation soldier who turned into an intergalactic bounty hunter, usually fitted with a powered armor suit with weapons that include directed energy weapons and missiles. In the Super Smash Bros. games she uses this suit and its different weapons and projectiles to fight. Since Brawl, Samus can be player without her suit on as well, called Zero Suit Samus.
Samus has relatively fast attacks such as her tilts and her smash attacks, as well as fast aerials. Along with this, Samus has her trademark bevy of projectiles, far reach in most of her attacks, and great horizontal survivability. However, Samus lacks a bit on KO'ing potential and none of her potential finishers are especially effective. Her KO'ing problems are because ofher difficulty in racking up damage on opponents; most of her attacks deal low to mediocre damage, she has rather slow attacking speed.
However, Samus' comboing problems have been worked on, so now she is able to do very good combos if used properly. Her attacks are much faster now, but she still has some slow moments preparing them. Despite having KO'ing potential problems, Samus is considerably better at them in this game as most of her attacks now deal more knockback than before.
- Neutral attack - Samus punches and attacks with Arm Cannon in an arc.
- Dash attack - Samus tackles her shoulders forwards.
- Forward tilt - Samus spin kicks forwards.
- Up tilt - Samus axe kicks down.
- Down tilt - Samus creates a fire burst on the ground with arm cannon.
- Forward smash - Samus thrusts Arm Cannon forwards and releases a small fire charge that blasts out of it.
- Up smash - Releases 5 fire bursts in an arc above herself.
- Down smash - Samus spins around on the ground with her feet, sending her victims upwards.
- Neutral aerial - Samus performs a sex kick.
- Forward aerial - Samus creates a burst in front of her.
- Back aerial - Samus spins backwards with kick.
- Up aerial - Samus spinslike a drill with feet together, upwards.
- Down aerial - Swings arm cannon in an arc underneath herself.
Grabs and throws
- Forward throw - Samus flings forwards with opponent.
- Back throw - Samus flings backwards with opponent.
- Up throw - Samus spins her foe above her head and then shocks them.
- Down throw - Samus slings back over her head and then slams down.
- Aerial Grab - Samus fires her Grapple Beam and traps her opponent. She takes them with her and starts doing several shocking moves with Arm Cannon. After that she lands on her opponent pointing her arm cannon on them, doing a powerful burst.
- Neutral special - Charge Shot: Samus will hold up her arm, which acts as a blaster, and she will start charging up an Energy Ball to blast it and damage foes. The more it's charged to more damage it will deal.
- Custom 1 - Dense Charge Shot: Takes longer to charge. Shots fired deal slightly more damage and travel at an extremely slow speed; up to three can exist at once.
- Custom 2 - Melee Charge Shot: Fires a "shotgun blast" of energy that only hits at point-blank range.
- Side special - Missile: Samus will fire a Missile out of her arm cannon. The missile is actually a homing missile, and will home in on the opponent.
- Custom 1 - Relentless Missile: Missiles move much slower, but are stronger and homing missiles persistently chase the target.
- Custom 2 - Turbo Missile: Missiles pause in the air once fired before shooting out at high speed.
- Up special - Screw Attack: Samus jumps up into the air spinning. The force of the spin will push Samus upwards and damage opponents in her way.
- Custom 1 - Screw Rush: Deals damage more sporadically with more control.
- Custom 2 - Apex Screw Attack: Moves only vertically and hits only twice.
- Down special - Bomb: Samus will do a very small jump, and shifts into morph ball mode. She will then drop a futuristic bomb/mine in the air, which will proceed to drop and then explode.
- Custom 1 - Slip Bomb: Bombs deal little damage, but trip grounded opponents and meteor aerial ones.
- Custom 2 - Mega Bomb: Can only have one out at a time, but deals more damage.
- Riot Move - Shocking Beam: Samus grabs her victim with her arm cannon and then charges it with them attached to it, she will then shoot a big beam with her opponent in it and send it flying.
- Final Smash - Zero Laser: Samus powers-up an incredibly powerful Charge Beam. When released, it severely injures any player caught in it and has a huge blast radius. Once the move stops, Samus's Power Suit falls off and she becomes Zero Suit Samus.
- Samus salutes vigorously with her left arm as her Gravity Booster pulses.
- Samus faces the screen and demonstrates the Arm Cannon mechanics.
- Holding her arm cannon with her left hand, she aims behind her, then aims lower in front of her. Her cannon glistens each time she aims. Can sometimes trick opponents into thinking she will use a fully charged Charge Shot.
Like in Brawl, if a player rapidly alternates the up and down taunts, Samus will transform into Zero Suit Samus in mid-match.
- 1st Entrance: Samus arrives from a Super Metroid-style save point.
- 2nd Entrance: Samus arrives in her Gunship.
An orchestrated remix of the Metroid power-up theme plays while she does one of the following animations:
- Samus does various kicking and punching combos and then salutes.
- Samus aims side to side, then aims at the screen.
- Samus levitates charging in electricity, as if her suit was a about to break, and then lands on a menacing pose.
- Default - Orange: Orange and yellow suit, red helmet. Based upon the Power Suit and Varia Suit, more specifically the design from Metroid: Other M.
- Blue: Blue and yellow suit, dark pink helmet. Based upon the Fusion Suit from Metroid Fusion.
- Red: Red-ish orange and yellow suit, dark red helmet. Based upon Samus' classic appearance in the first games.
- Purple: Purple and yellow suit, red helmet. Based upon the Gravity Suit from most games since Super Metroid.
- Green: Green and purple suit, dark pink helmet. Based upon the green-colored Fusion Suit.
- Black: Black and grey suit, dark grey helmet. Based upon the Phazon Suit.
- Light Suit: The light suit not only changes Samus' color palette but also suit design exactly similar to that of the Light Suit seen in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Nothing else changes besides different color and particles in her attacks. In the previous game, it was a palette swap.
- Dark Suit: Like the Light Suit, this one changes the design entirely to that of the Dark Suit from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, unlike previous games in which this was only a color palette. Only effects and colors change, with no animation changes.