Pokémon - Maps & Minions is a strategy game being made by Koopa Kastle Productions. It is different from the ordinary Pokemon games. You move your selected Pokemon and try to eliminate the enemy team. There are 15 Pokemon (5 in each group). The groups are Fire, Grass and Water. It is for the Wii and DS.
The gameplay is initially simple, but as you play the game, you need to think very hard. You are a team of Pokemon that try to defeat the enemy with technique and strategy. It looks like a board game. You select the Pokemon you would like to move, and then you click on the space you'd like it to move to. If you move to a space occupied by an enemy, you will engage in combat. If an enemy moves to a space occupied by an ally, it will attack them. Each Pokemon has 10 HP and 1 ATK, but they also have their own special ability. Each Pokemon can attack an enemy one generation ahead of them. For example, Charmander can attack Totodile and Chikorita effectively, but Charmander can also attack Tepig and Snivy with no effect. If you go on a space with a fist, you will gain 1 ATK. If you land on a space with a heart, it will restore a random amount of HP. Some spaces are occupied by obstacles and cannot be moved on. After 10 battles, you level up and can increase your HP or Attack by 2.
- Charmander can attack an enemy up to 2 spaces away.
- Cyndaquil cannot be attacked from the front.
- Torchic can fly into the air for it's turn. It cannot move, but enemies can't attack it.
- Chimchar can set one space on fire and if the enemy goes on it, they will take 1 damage.
- Tepig can move 2 spaces at a time.
- If Bulbasaur is up to 2 spaces away, Pokabu, Cindaquil and Mudkip are forced to follow it.
- Chikorita heals 1 HP each turn.
- Treecko can climb special vertical spaces
- Whenever Turtwig attacks, he gains 1 HP.
- Snivy has a shield of grass around it. As long as it stays still, it can't be attacked. If it moves, it will not be protected, but allies can move in to it and be protected until their turn is over
- Squirtle cannot be attacked from behind
- Totodile can break through obstacles
- There is a 50% chance that Mudkip will use Mud Shot and do 2 damage.
- Piplup can freeze up to 2 spaces so that enemies cannot go on them.
- Oshawott can move onto special blue spaces.