The POW Block is an item in the Mario series, that when hit or thrown, will damage all enemies on the screen. It debuted in Mario Bros. In older Mario games they were Red then they changed to Blue and in New Super Mario Bros. 2 Red POW Block reappeared.
Mario Kart Series
POW Blocks appear in the Mario Kart series. It knocks out all the players on the ground in front of the player that threw it. However, the player can dodge the POW Block if the player is doing a trick in the air.
Although the POW Block itself doesn't appear in Dry Bones Kart: Double Dash!!, the POW Question Block does. That item acts similar to the POW Block, but it flips the player instead. Players can avoid this item if they are in the air. They can also avoid it by pressing the R button on the Gamecube Controller.
The POW Question Block returns in this installment as well, serving the same purpose a its debut.
The POW Block is a new item in Dry Bones Kart Wii. When dispatched by a player, all racers ahead of the user finds POW Blocks above their karts. The POW Block makes players spin out in a similar way to that caused by a Banana Peel, except that they lose all of their current items and they come to a complete stop if it hits them. Players will not be affected by the POW Block if the third strike goes off while they are in mid-air. Players can also avoid it by starting a wheelie, or shaking their controller (like doing a jump trick) right when the third strike goes off. By doing this, they still spin out and lose items, but retain their momentum. It is also possible to avoid it by doing a hop right at the third strike but requires perfect timing. When players have a Starman, Mega Mushroom, or Bullet Bill activated, they will not get affected by the POW Block.
The POW Block returns in future installments, where it acts like it did in its debut.
In the game New Super Mario Bros. 5-Star Adventure, POW Blocks come in different colors, each with a it's own special ability -
- Red - Defeats enemies near the block and triggers any other nearby POW Blocks.
- Blue - Defeats all enemies on-screen
- Green - Defeats all enemies on-screen and knocks floating coins (including Star Coins and Ace Coins) to the ground.
- Purple - Defeats all enemies on-screen, knocks floating coins to the ground, and breaks Bricks & opens ? Blocks
- Golden - When hit, it sends a slow and powerful shockwave in both directions that kills enemies, breaks bricks, and opens ? Blocks in it's path. The player follow a shockwave for even a whole level's worth of time, making Golden POW Blocks the most powerful of all.
Names In Other Languages
|Spanish||Bloque POW||POW Block|
|French||Bloc POW||POW Block|
|Italian||Blocco POW||POW Block|
|Portuguese||Bloco POW||POW Block|
|Russian||Красный блок 《POW》|
Krasnyy blok 《POW》
|Red POW Block|