- Story Mode: Levels following the story. Nine worlds including 12 levels each, with 1 tower and 1 castle, minus world 9, which includes 24, with 2 towers, 1 castle, and Bowser's final castle. You play with Mario, but you can buy more characters to play with with star coins. You can play with 1 to 5 players
- Party Mode: Minigames and the 2 extra worlds, you can buy extra minigames and the extra worlds with star coins. The first extra world includes the 12 best courses of Super Mario Maker with 1 tower, 1 castle, 2 underground levels, 1 underwater levels, and the remaining are normal stages. The second extra world includes the best of all Mario Bros. games. There are 10 minigames in the start, and 10 unlockables. You can play with 1 to 5 players.
- Mission Mode: Completing missions. You can skip missions with starcoins. You can only play with 1 player.
- Battle Mode: Battle with enemies, but also with friends in multiplayer. You can play with 1 to 4 players.
Bowser is tired of kidnapping Peach because it always goes wrong. So he replaces his castle to Mars and tries to destroy the world. Every world is guarded by one of the Koopalings and a world theme enemy.
- World 1: Mushroom Plains
- World 2: Cake Desert
- World 3: Yoshi's Island
- World 4: Green Jungle
- World 5: Winter Lakes
- World 6: Stone Hills
- World 7: Cloudy Sky
- World 8: Planet Rush
- World 9: Bowser on Mars
- Extra World 1: Best of Super Mario Maker
- Extra World 1: Best of all Super Mario Bros. games