When you unlock a character, the game works like Super Mario 3D World, where you can choose the characters freely.
OBS: The Mii character have different outfitts at several levels, but loses them when gain a power-up. The Mii can choose to use only the normal suit:
- At grassland levels, , , and , the Mii uses normal suits.
- At autumn forests, the Mii uses a beekeeper's costume.
- At desert levels, the Mii uses a water bottle, sunglasses and a cape.
- At beach levels, the Mii uses beach clothes.
- At underwater levels, the Mii uses a scuba diving gear.
- At snow levels, the Mii uses a ski clothing.
- At cave levels, the Mii have a Pickaxe and crystals inside a backpack.
- At jungle levels, te player uses a jungle suit.
- At ghost levels, the Mii uses a Pumpkin Suit.
- At mountain levels, the Mii uses a Rock Suit (similar to Rock Mario).
- At factory levels, th Mii uses a hard hat.
- At sky levels, the Mii gains wings (like Winged Yosh)
- At space levels, the Mii uses a space suit.
- At volcano levels, the Mii uses a Gas Mask.
- Toadsworth (W1)
- Bee (WA)
- Pianta (W3)
- Whittle (WB)
- Penguin (W4)
- Jibberjay (W5)
- Greenie (WD)
- Bob-omb Buddy (WE)
- Lakitu Buddy (W7)
- Lubba (WF)
- Yoshi (species)