Mario Kart 9 is an upcoming racing game for the Nintendo NX that will be released in 2017. It will be the first Mario Kart title to feature VR (Virtual Reality).
- Grand Prix: The Grand Prix features 12 cups, 4 nitro, 4 retro, and 4 DLC. The player will have to compete against 11 CPUs in either 50cc, 100cc, or 150cc in 4 tracks in each cup. Mirror Mode is unlockable and 200cc is DLC. This mode can be played by up to 4 players in Multiplayer.
- Battle Mode: In this mode, the player battles against 11 CPUs, either in teams or independently. There are 3 modes for Battle Mode:
- Balloon Battle is the 1st battle mode. During gameplay, each player will start out with 3 balloons. If they are hit by an item, one of their balloons pops. If they have no balloons remaining, they will respawn with 3 balloons. Points are achieved by popping an opponent's balloon, and lost by respawning. The player/team with the most points in the end will win.
- Coin Runners is the 2nd battle mode. In this mode, coins are scattered throughout the battle course, and the players will have to collect them, with a max of 10 coins at a time. 3 coins will be lost if an item hits a player, and 1 coin will be lost if 1 player rams into another with a Mushroom. The player/team with the most coins in the end will win.
- Bob-Omb Blast is the 3rd battle mode. In this battle mode, independent players will try to hit eachother with Bob-Ombs. Hitting people gives you stars, while getting hit makes you lose a star. The first player to get to 3 stars will win.
- VS: VS allows you to set up races with custom rules, including the difficulty and number of races.
- Time Trials: In this mode, you will try to get the best record on racetracks from the game. You can also challenge staff ghosts, who, upon beaten, will unlock expert staff ghosts, which can unlock stuff.