|Ziegs' Fan Game|
|The contents of this article belong to Ziegs. Therefore please:
|July 12, 2012|
|Single player, Multiplayer|
|Media Included||Wii Disk|
However, the game doesn't feature Final Fantasy characters this time, but has more characters and modes to play. The game will also include its own Wii Channel called the Mario Hoops Channel which allows players to buy special characters, special alternate colors and costumes and play in special tourneys. The channel uses 80 blocks.
The gameplay of the game is very similar to its predecessor. Players can choose a variety of characters and stages inspired from the Mario series. The player chooses a team of 3 characters which plays against another team of 3 characters. The player's team is identified with a red circle below them, while the opponent's team is identified with a blue circle. The player's team basket is ever facing ahead them and the opponent's basket is on the back.
The match starts at the half of the court, with the center of each team preparing to take the ball that Lakitu will release at the start. The matches are played in at least 2 periods lasting 2 and a half minute. At the end of each period, each team's coin count is reset to 0 and another period will start. When al periods are played, the team with the most points wins the match.
Mario Hoops Wii will have 40 playable characters. 17 are default and the other 23 are unlockable. Every character in the game has a special move called Special Shot, all the characters have their own and unique Special Shot. There are 5 character types, each character is in one of those five types that are used for their advantages.
- All-Around: These characters are balanced and have equal stats in all four categories.
- Powerful: These characters are good at stealing, but moves slowly.
- Technical: These characters are good at shooting.
- Tricky: These characters are full of tricky moves.
- Speedy: These characters are very fast, but are a little weak.
These are characters available from the start.
|Diddy Kong||Speedy||Jet Shot|
|Donkey Kong||Powerful||Konga Dunk|
|Bowser Jr||Speedy||Graffiti Shot|
|Baby Mario||All-Around||Mallet Shot|
|Shy Guy||Speedy||Thunder Shot|
Characters that have to be unlocked.
|Baby Luigi||All-Around||Chomp Dunk|
|Fly Guy||Tricky||Tornado Dunk|
|Petey Piranha||Powerful||Sludge Shot|
|King Boo||Tricky||Phantom Dunk|
|Dry Bones||Tricky||Bone Dunk|
|Hammer Bro||All-Around||Hammer Shot|
|Dixie Kong||Speedy||Cannon Shot|
|Boom Boom||Powerful||Spin Dunk|
Characters that have to be bought in the Mario Hoops Channel using Game Points earned in matches.
|Baby Peach||Technical||Stroller Dunk|
|Baby Daisy||Technical||Trampoline Dunk|
|Baby DK||Tricky||Banana Shot|
|Polari||Technical||Star Bit Shot|
|Dr. Mario||All-Around||Megavitamin Shot|
|Shadow Mario||All-Around||Paintbrush Dunk|
|Dry Bowser||Powerful||Skeletospin Dunk|
Miis. They're only playable in Exhibition, Special Game and Matchup Modes including Normal and Nintendo Wi-Fi Match.
These alternates are already available.
These alternates have to be unlocked first.
These alternates have to be bought in the Mario Hoops Channel using Game Points earned in matches.
The fourth court of each tourney is unlockable and can be played only in Exhibition Mode. The other courts can be played in Tourney Mode.
|Mario Stadium||A basic and normal stadium, with no hazards.|
|Peach's Castle||A court located in front of Peach's castle. A Lakitu will throw Spinies to the court.|
|Mushroom Field||A court made on a big mushroom. Bullet Bills will appear chasing the player that has the ball.|
|Yoshi's Island||A court based on the Yoshi's Island games. Here Flutters will fly randomly on the court, when they get hit by the ball, they will chase the players.|
|Toad Park||A stadium surrounded by a park with various attractions. A Wiggler train will go through the court flattening players in the way.|
|Daisy's Garden||A court made in a garden. Here Giant Piranha Plants act as baskets and reject any dunk unless they fall asleep or if the player gets a star.|
|DK Jungle||A court on a giant wooden platform floating in a lake surrounded by a giant jungle. Klaptraps appear and bite players, which can avoid them by running well for a short period of time.|
|Luigi's Mansion||A court held in a spooky, ghost-infested mansion. Ghosts sometimes take the ball in midflight and players must jump to retrieve it.|
|Wario Factory||A court in a secret factory held by Wario. Big Bob-Ombs are sitting in the background and will throw Bob-Ombs to the court. The Bob-Ombs can be used and thrown, before they automatically explode.|
|Shy Guy's Palace||A court in a great palace, in the middle of the desert. Tweesters will move around the court and will blow characters when touching them|
|Jr Playroom||A giant court located into Bowser Jr's Room. Chain Chomps can be seen sleeping, they will get angry if they are awakened and begin to run around the court, flattening players.|
|Bowser's Castle||A hazardous wire court located above a sea of lava. Podoboos will jump from below the court, Thwomps rarely will appear and Whomps are sometimes hidden under the ? Panels.|
|Cheep-Cheep Beach||A beach resort court. Cheep-Cheeps appear periodically and bounce over the beach. Also, the water on the edges slows down movement.|
|Sherbet Land||A cold icy court. Penguins sometimes will slide through the court and push the players. Also, a unique item in this course is the Freezie, it can encase a player in ice for a few seconds|
|Waluigi's Ship||A court made in a ship held by Waluigi. Gooper Blooper will sometimes take the ship with his tentacles and the stage tilts slightly left to right. Also, Cannon Balls appears rolling down the court.|
|Galaxy Dome||A special stage heavily based on Super Mario Galaxy. Hungry Luma holds the only basket here - he moves it depending on which team has the ball. Also, Octoombas sometimes walk in the court shooting rocks to the players.|
This tourney have to be bought in the Mario Hoops Channel using Game Points earned in matches.
|Baby Playhouse||A great court owned by the babies. Balls sometimes bounce over the court and push players, making them drop the ball if they're on the offense.|
|Sunset Hotel||A court located in Sirena Beach from Super Mario Sunshine. It is similar to Cheep-Cheep Beach, the difference is that Cheep-Cheeps don't bounce over the beach.|
|Dr. Mario Stadium||A stadium located in a icy and slippery pill bottle. Viruses and Megavitamins fall on the stadium and slow down the player's movement when making contact with them.|
|Tart Dome||Tart Dome is similar to Galaxy Dome, but here a Lakitu holds the basket instead of a Hungry Luma and the court is located on the top af a giant cake, not in the galaxy. Giant Cookies fall on the court, flattening players.|
Like its predecessor, when players are on the defensive, ? Panels produce items similar to the Mario Kart series. Some items can also be picked on the offensive.
- Banana: A simple yellow peel that trips anyone who slips on it.
- Green Shell: Bouncing freely, Green Shells are more powerful than bananas when making contact. They are discarded from the field when they have bounced twice off the boundaries.
- Red Shell: Red Shells have less accuracy than in the Mario Kart series, and miss often if the player makes a sudden turn (quick-dash). The Red Shell then will act like the Green Shell.
- Spiny Shell: The Spiny Shell will fly in the air and target the ball, creating a blue explosion. Does not miss.
- Fake ? Panel: When thrown, disguises itself as a ? Panel, except for a backward question mark. A player trying to get items or collect coins will be knocked down when he or she steps on the fake panel, as well as lose the ball if it is on offense.
- Bomb: When thrown, they explode whitin 3 seconds, knocking anyone in the vicinity down.
Items that can be collected by both the offense and defense:
- Mushroom: Boosts speed for the character for a while.
- Mini Mushroom: The Mini Mushroom shrinks any player it comes in contact with. Any player turned mini cannot perform most moves and gets movement lowered. Mini Mushroom's effects revert over time.
- Mega Mushroom: When players obtain this item they become bigger, allowing the player to push opponents. The Mega Mushroom's effects revert over time.
- Poison Mushroom: Contrairly to the Mushroom, slows the character for a while.
- Star: Invincibility. A single touch causes anyone to drop the ball. It is impossible to steal the ball from anyone invincible.
- Thunderbolt: Everyone except the user is struck down for a couple of seconds. Initially, the player must jump at the bolt to use it, as it is up high, giving the defensive player the edge. However, it eventually hovers down, allowing the offensive player to run into it.
Items that are specific to one court:
- Boo: Makes you invisible for a short period of time. This item is only available in the Luigi's Mansion Court.
- Freezie: Characters can become icicles if hit by this item from Sherbet Land. Acts like a Green Shell when thrown.
- Challenge Mode: This mode contains both practice modes and an extra challenge mode after completing practice mode.
- Tourney Mode: In this mode players can compete against opponents and can win 4 different cups. This mode is where characters and courses can be unlocked. There are 4 different tourneys, Mushroom, Flower, Star and Rainbow. When winning all, hard versions of those tourneys can be played.
- Exhibition Mode: In this mode, pick a team of 3 characters and your opponents, pick a court, set the rules and play freely basketball anytime you want.
- Special Game Mode: Play various basketball-based minigames. Up to 4 players.
- Matchup: This is the multiplayer mode of the game. Select between Normal Match and Nintendo Wi-Fi Match, in Normal 2 players have to select their 3 character team, select the court and set the rules, like Exhibition Mode. In Nintendo Wi-Fi Match, connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and play against random players in the world and play special competitions.
- Basketball Vault: Listen to music, sounds and voices, view trophies, collectibles, records, etc.
- Options: Adjust settings such as audio, screen ratio, controls, etc.
Four Special Games are available from the start and other five are unlockables.
- Basketball Artist: A giant design appears in the court. There are color panels near the design, dribble on a color and the ball will change to that color, then dribble on the design to paint it. The player has to paint it exactly as shown at the beginning within the time limit. There are 3 different designs depending on the selected level: Easy: Mario's Head. Normal: Toad and Toadette. Hard: Rainbow Yoshies.
- Bullet Bill Catastrophe: Players must get a determined amount of coins dribbling on ? panels while dodging Bullet Bills and Banzai Bills. When reaching the determined amount of coins, the player wins, but if a Bullet Bill or Banzai Bill hits the player, he or she loses. The amount of coins, Bullet Bills and their speed increases depending on the selected level, Easy, Normal or Hard.
- Banana Panic: Players must prevent Klaptraps from eating the bananas by making a basket in the vines to make them change directions. The game ends when a Klaptrap eats a banana.
- Bob-Omb Mania: Players have to take a Bob-omb from ? panels which move on the conveyor belts and throw them to Big Bob-Omb and get points. There are different sizes of Bombs, bigger ones give a great amount of points. The player with the most points wins the game.
- Horrorsketball (unlockable): This Special Game has 3 stages, each having a different Ghost as opponent. Players must get a determined amount of coins and preventing Ghosts to steal the ball, then the players have to dunk the ball in the basket and the Ghosts in the stage will return to the painting. When the players makes a basket with that amount of coins, he or she goes to the next stage, and after completing all the 3 stages, the player wins. Also players have 3 lives and if the Ghost steals the ball and dunks it in the opponent's basket, the player loses a life.
- Chain Chomp's Feed (unlockable): Players have to take food from ? panels, they have to take what Chain Chomp thinks he wants to eat, giving him the correct food causes the player to get 3 points, but giving him the wrong one makes him angry and will shot a paintball from a cannon to the player, making him or her to lose points. The player with the most points wins the game.
- Mecha-Bowser Challenge (unlockable): Players must face off against Mecha Bowser, dribbling Mecha Koopas and dunking them into the basket (Mecha-Bowser's mouth) while dodging its Bullet Bills and Bob-Ombs. Also, Mecha-Bowser can attack the player by breathing fire. The game ends when either the player or Mecha-Bowser is defeated.
- Gooper Blooper Mayhem (unlockable): In this Special Game players have to take black goopballs made by Gooper Blooper and dribble them many times on a switch to release a floating stone that protects them before Gooper Blooper attacks with his tentacles. The players has 5 lives, the player with the most lives wins.
- Luma's World (unlockable): Very similar to Horrorsketball, players must get a determined amount of coins and dunk the ball in the basket (Launch Star) and then go to the next stage. The differences between this Special Game and Horrorsketball is that instead of Ghosts, there are Lumas and the stages are planets, not mansion rooms. When making a basket with that amount of coins, the Launch Star will launch off the player to the next planet. After completing all the 3 stages, the player wins, but if a Luma steals the ball and dunks it in the opponent's Launch Star, the player will lose 1 of 3 lives.
The game has 23 different balls to use in matches. All the balls are unlockables, except the default basketball ball.
Character unlocking criteria.
|Character||How to unlock|
|Toad||Beat Normal Mushroom Tourney with a bronze rank.|
|Toadette||Beat Normal Flower Tourney with a bronze rank.|
|Baby Luigi||Beat Normal Star Tourney with a bronze rank.|
|Fly Guy||Beat Normal Star Tourney with a silver rank.|
|Paratroopa||Beat Normal Rainbow Tourney with a bronze rank.|
|Petey Piranha||Beat Hard Mushroom Tourney with a bronze rank.|
|King Boo||Beat Hard Flower Tourney with a bronze rank.|
|Dry Bones||Beat Hard Star Tourney with a bronze rank.|
|Hammer Bro||Beat Normal Rainbow Tourney with a silver rank.|
|Dixie Kong||Beat Normal Flower Tourney with a silver rank.|
|Magikoopa||Beat Normal Rainbow Tourney with a gold rank.|
|Boom Boom||Play the game for 10 hours with one player or 5 hours with two players.|
|Rosalina||Collect all the balls in the game.|
|Baby Peach||Buy her in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 500 Game Points.|
|Baby Daisy||Buy her in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 500 Game Points.|
|Baby DK||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 500 Game Points.|
|Wiggler||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 600 Game Points.|
|Blooper||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 500 Game Points.|
|Pianta||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 700 Game Points.|
|Polari||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 500 Game Points.|
|Dr. Mario||First you must have Dr. Mario & Germ Buster in your Wii Menu and then buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 700 Game Points.|
|Shadow Mario||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 800 Game Points.|
|Dry Bowser||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 800 Game Points.|
Alternate color and costume unlocking criteria.
|Alternate||How to unlock|
|Tennis-wear Peach||Play 15 exhibition matches as Peach.|
|Tennis-wear Daisy||Play 15 exhibition matches as Daisy.|
|Blue Shy Guy||Play 10 exhibition matches as Yellow Shy Guy.|
|Blue Koopa||Play 10 exhibition matches as Red Koopa.|
|Yellow Toad||Play 10 exhibition matches as Blue Toad.|
|Pink Toad||Play 8 exhibition matches having Toad and Toadette in your team.|
|Yellow Yoshi||Play 10 exhibition matches as Light Blue Yoshi.|
|Pink Yoshi||Getting 500 Points or more in the Yoshi's Island court.|
|Red Noki||Play 10 exhibition matches as Noki.|
|Green Noki||Beat Gooper Blooper Mayhem on Hard difficulty.|
|Boomerang Bro||Play 15 exhibition matches as Hammer Bro.|
|Luigi's Mansion King Boo||Play 15 exhibition matches as King Boo.|
|Fire Mario||Play 20 exhibition matches as Mario.|
|Fire Luigi||Play 20 exhibition matches as Luigi.|
|Sunshine Bowser Jr||In Jr Playroom rarely times a Chain Chomp with a Shadow Mario bib will appear. With Bowser Jr, hit him with the ball and instead of running around the court, he will get away. Then finish the match and you will unlock Bowser Jr's alternate costume. Exhibition Mode or Tourney Mode.|
|Biker Wario||Play 20 exhibition matches as Wario.|
|Fire Bro||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 50 Game Points.|
|Red Pianta||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 60 Game Points.|
|Yellow Pianta||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 60 Game Points.|
|Black Yoshi||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 60 Game Points.|
|White Yoshi||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 60 Game Points.|
|Tanooki Mario||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 100 Game Points.|
|Tanooki Luigi||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 100 Game Points.|
|Wario-Man||Buy him in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 200 Game Points.|
Course and Tourney unlocking criteria.
|Court/Tourney||How to unlock|
|Yoshi's Island||Play 5 exhibition matches as a team of 3 Color Yoshis.|
|Luigi's Mansion||Playing an exhibition match as Luigi on Daisy's Garden during the night (Between the hours of 8-10 PM)|
|Bowser's Castle||Getting 800 Points or more in any match in the Star Tourney.|
|Special Tourney||Buy it in the Mario Hoops Channel. Cost: 850 Game Points.|
Special Game unlocking criteria.
|Special Game||How to unlock|
|Horrorsketball||Unlock the Luigi's Mansion court.|
|Chain Chomp's Feed||Play 10 exhibition matches in Jr Playroom.|
|Mecha-Bowser Challenge||Play 5 exhibition matches on Bowser's Castle with a team having Bowser, Bowser Jr and Hammer Bro.|
|Gooper Blooper Mayhem||4000 points in profile.|
|Luma's World||Beat Hard Rainbow Tourney with every rank.|
Ball unlocking criteria.
|Ball||How to unlock|
|Blue Ball||Finish Practice Mode.|
|Red Ball||Win a match without ? panels.|
|Green Ball||Play a match on Daisy's Garden.|
|Purple Ball||Play a match on Bowser's Castle.|
|Soccer Ball||Beat Normal Mushroom Tourney with a silver rank.|
|Watermelon Ball||Beat Normal Mushroom Tourney with a gold rank.|
|Yoshi Egg Ball||Use Yoshi's Special Shot 3 times in one match.|
|Birdo Egg Ball||Use Birdo's Special Shot 3 times in one match.|
|Spiked Ball||Use Bowser's Special Shot 3 times in one match.|
|Goomba Ball||Beat Hard Mushroom Tourney with a silver rank.|
|Beach Ball||Beat Hard Mushroom Tourney with a gold rank.|
|Cheep-Cheep Ball||Beat Hard Flower Tourney with a silver rank.|
|Dice Ball||Beat Hard Flower Tourney with a gold rank.|
|Mushroom Ball||Use Toad's or Toadette's Special Shot 3 times in one match.|
|Chain Chomp Ball||Use Baby Luigi's Special Shot 3 times in one match.|
|Star Ball||Beat Hard Star Tourney with a silver rank.|
|Star Bit Ball||Beat Hard Star Tourney with a gold rank.|
|Megavitamin Ball||Use Dr. Mario's Special Shot 3 times in one match.|
|Silver Ball||2000 points in profile.|
|Golden Ball||5000 points in profile.|
|Rainbow Ball||Win 5 games in Nintendo Wi-Fi Match.|
|Pumpkin Ball||Lose 3 games in Nintendo Wi-Fi Match.|