|Appearances in SSB|| Super Smash Bros. 64
Super Smash Bros. Melee Super Smash Bros. Brawl Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
|Final Smash||Mario Finale|
Mario is the most balanced fighter from Ultra Smash Bros. IV and hero of the Super Mario (series) and he makes his fifth appearance in the series. He's already confirmed at the E3 demo and trailer as a old member of the Original 8, including Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff and Luigi. Generally, Mario is the hero of the Mushroom Kingdom were he goes on adventure, sometimes with Luigi, his sidekick and little brother, by rescuing Peach off the hands of Bowser and his minons.
Mario ranked on the 3rd place of the 103rd (S) in the tier list behind his brother Luigi and after Lucas for his fast up-air combo strings similar as in SSB4 and a improved recovery options such as his Super Cape and his Super Jump, which it makes such a great character to play in the tournaments. This is a slightly rise for Mario but maintains his spot as top tier character.
As all the Smash series and in his games overall, Mario is the easiest character to deal with all kind of opponents due to his balanced states likes Fireballs as his projectile game, a great combo starter and a excelent defensive gameplay.
His weakness is his frames of his grabs they have been nerfed which it makes difficult to start a combo. But overall in his matchup, Mario wins great matchups against his frontsiders (Captain Falcon and Luigi).
Changes from Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
Mario's Up-Special goes higher. When Mario performs this by attacking someone, there also appears scorepoints from all the Super Mario Series., on screen, when you jump on a enemy. Like that, it appears 200, 400, 800, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000 and specialy 1UP.
Comparing to Mario's SSB4 tier list (A), Mario significantly buffed for his faster moves and various combo moves. But his frame of his grabs are different as in the previous game.
- Normal Jab: Punch right, punch left and then kick.
- Side A: Right kick
- Down A: Twist with his right kick.
- Up A: Upper punch while he turns around.
- Dash A: Makes a tackle attack.
- Side Smash: A strong fire burst. It can be move diagonaly up, down and left/right.
- Down Smash: A "brakedance" move.
- Up Smash: An upward headbutt.
- Neutral Air: Strong kick with his left foot.
- Side Air: Strong punch with his right hand. Causes a strong smash attack or a famous Mario spike.
- Back Air: A fast backdrop with lag at the end.
- Down Air: Makes a little Tornado move like in SSBM, but he doesn't float.
- Up Air: A uppward right kick while twisting around.
Grabs and throws
- Pummel: Headbutts the opponent.
- F-throw: Launches the opponent forward.
- D-throw: Launches the opponent downwards.
- Up-throw: Launches the opponent upwards.
- B-throw: Grabs the opponent's foot, spins three times and launches the opponent backwards.
|Neutral Special||Default: Fireball||5% (early), 4% (late)||Mario throws fireballs like the 3 previous Smash Bros. games. The fireballs bounces like in Super Mario Bros. series if you use a Fire Flower.|
|Custom 1: Fast Fireball||3% (early), 2,3% (mid), 1.5% (late)||Mario's fireball goes faster straight ahead but it takes less damage.|
|Custom 2: Fire Orb||Mario's big fireball goes slower but it takes good damage constatly.|
|Custom 3: ZigZag Fireball||Mario's up and down fireball goes tricky to left and right irregularly.|
|Side Special||Dt: Super Cape||His cape from Super Mario World. Mario can reflect projectiles and turn opponets in opposite direction.|
|C1: Shocking Cape||With his shocking cape, Mario can shock opponents with damage but he can't reflect projectiles.|
|C2: Gust Cape||It appears a little gust to turn opponents in a opposite direction with a long distance and it can also recflect projectiles. But it takes time to do it.|
|C3: Tornado Cape||Mario's cape does a tornado on the stage to make opponents blow up in the sky. You can also charge it for a big tornado. But it takes time to do it.|
|Down Special||Dt: F.L.U.D.D.||Mario's beloved waterpump F.L.U.D.D in Super Mario Sunshine splashes water to push opponents out off the stage if it's charged enough.|
|C1: Scalding F.L.U.D.D.||The water seems to be very hot to burn opponents but it cannot push opponents away. It's easier and faster to charge it.|
|C2: High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D.||It blast opponents far far away off the stage but it takes time to do it.|
|C3: Turbo Nozzle||Instead of splash opponents away, Mario can splash himself to charge first and then blasts away!|
|Up Special||Dt: Super Jump Punch||Mario's famous Super Jump Punch is back for more combo actions!|
|C1: Super Jump||It cannot give damage to opponents but goes higher for than the regular Super Jump Punch far away.|
|C2: Explosive Punch||It gives serious damage to the opponents but it cannot goes higher than the regular Super Jump Punch.|
|C3: Burning Jump Punch||It damages opponents with fire but it makes less combos than the default one. It also goes higher like the Super Jump Punch but it take time to do it.|
Mario Finale: Like his previous 2 games, Mario launches his big fire tornado horizontaly, until that it grows and grows off the stage.
- Grows up like in Super Mario Bros. when he uses a Super Mushroom. And then he shrinks down.
- Takes off his hat, spins around and then he says: "Woo-hoo!". That's similar to the New Super Mario Bros. when he reached to the flagpole.
- Spins in the air and then falls on the ground with his legs in the air. It's similar to Donkey Kong for the NES when he's dying.
- Twists around with a fireball, jumps spinning and says: "Yes!" while his fireball explodes.
Grows a pipe on the ground and Mario leaps out in his iconic pose and says: "Let's-a go!"
- Moves his hat.
- Looks around.
- Moves his head from left to right and hold his fist from his face.
Same as the 3 previous Super Smash Bros. games.
|Red/Blue||Mario's original costume. He wears all the time.|
|Red/White||When he picks a Fire Flower. He turns like that.|
|Cyan/Violet||His old classic costume of Super Mario Bros. for the NES.|
|Yellow/Purple||His costume resembles of Wario.|
|Green/Brown||Luigi's old classic costume from Mario Bros. for the NES.|
|Red Stripes/Blue with White Stars||Mario's golf outfit from NES Open Tournement Golf.|
|Purple/Black||Waluigi's original costume.|
|Cyan/Red||When he picks a Ice Flower. He turns like that.|
|Blue/Red (inverted)||Mario's classic costume in Donkey Kong for the NES.|
|Black/Red||When Mario picks a Red Star (from SMG). He turns like that.|
|Brown/Beige||Mario's alternate costume for the very first Super Smash Bros..|
|Red/Brown||Mario's 8-bit costume-color from Super Mario Bros.|
|Yellow/Red||Mario's recent costume from Super Mario Maker.|
|Grey||Mario's 8-bit costume-color from Super Mario Land for Game Boy.|
|Special Costume||Mario's special costume for the New Nintendo 3DS trailer.|