|Series||Super Mario Bros.|
|First appearance||Donkey Kong (1981)|
|Recent game||Super Mario Maker (2015)|
|Final Smash||Rainbow Mario|
Please welcome Mr. Nintendo, the face of videogames, the true and only Mario! He returns for the fifth time in the Smash series in Super Smash Bros. NeXt, with some changes albeit remaining the most balanced fighter in the game. In Super Mario Bros. series, Mario often has to save the Princess Peach from the king Bowser, helped by his brother Luigi and his friends Toads, Rosalina, Yoshi and many others. Also, he is a gifted sportsman, as his racing, tennis, golf and football series.
Mario is known to be the most balanced character in the game, with average running speed, jumping abilities and damage output. However, in Smash NeXt, many of Mario's moves have been powered to be as strong as Dr. Mario's. However, some combo moves (such as his up and down throws, his up aerial and his up tilt) weren't powered up. Mario retains all of his special moves but powered up.
Differences between Smash 4
Between translation from Smash 4 and NeXt, Mario got some good buffs in each areas (standard moves, special moves, approaching and recovery), now being a mix of Dr. Mario and his appearances in both the first Smash and Smash 4.
- Mario jumps higher.
- Mario dashes faster.
- Mario's traction increased.
- Mario is slightly heavier (from 98 to 100).
- Each Mario's move became as strong as Dr. Mario's in Smash 4.
- Forward Smash is a fist similar to Smash 64's. It's lower start-up than his previous one but lacks the sweetspot.
- Up Smash keeps Dr. Mario's KO angle, being more horizontal than before.
- Dash attack is now a slide, fists before, like in Super Mario 64. It's better reach, faster start-up and less cool-down time.
- Side tilt, down tilt and down Smash retains Dr. Mario's knockback.
- Each Mario's attacks became as strong as Dr. Mario's in Smash 4.
- Neutral aerial got reversed damage output.
- Back aerial, neutral aerial and forward aerial's knockback increased to match Dr. Mario's.
- Down aerial stops Mario's momentum, making this move a recovery tool.
Grab and throws
- Each Mario's throw and pummel too became as strong as Dr. Mario's in Smash 4.
- Pummel is a flame instead of a head butt. It's faster.
- Forward throw and back throw knockback increased.
- Fireball is faster, travels much more and doesn't lose power while travelling.
- Super Jump Punch's jump height increased.
- Final Smash now is Rainbow Mario.
|Jab Combo||64 Combo||3%, 2%, 4%||Mario attacks first with a fist, then with another fist and finally with a kick. Very quick, more useful than his forward tilt.|
|Side tilt||Plumber's Kick||8%||Mario kicks in front of him. Quite slow and without good reach.|
|Up tilt||Italian Uppercut||7%||Mario performs a spin uppercut. One of Mario's most useful tools, can be used to combo into itself or to attack characters who are grabbing the ledge.|
|Down tilt||Low kick.||6% (body), 8% (kick), 12% (hat)||Mario performs a low kick. In Smash NeXt, it has given a sweetspot placed right on his cap, which inflicts more damage and massive knockback (KOs at 90% lighter characters) although the sweetspot is hard to land.|
|Dash attack||64 Dash||6% (clean), 8% (late)||Mario slides on the ground, fists first. This move has a strange knockback direction as the opponents will be launched behind Mario.|
|Forward Smash||Plumber Fist||16%||Mario performs a rather quick fist with good KO power, similar to Smash 64's Mario's forward Smash.|
|Up Smash||Head butt||16%||Mario performs a strong head butt upwards. Mario's best finisher as it comes out quickly, this move starts KOing at about 112%. Mario's head is also invincible during this attack as well as the charge.|
|Down Smash||Breakdance Kick||11% (front), 13% (back)||Mario swipes both forward and backward with his legs. This move starts KOing at 184% forward and 107% backward.|
|Neutral aerial||6% (early), 9% (late)||An inverted Sex Kick as it inflicts more damage the longer it stays out.|
|Forward aerial||11% (early), 17% (clean), 10% (late)||A great arc fist. It has meteor smash abilities.|
|Back aerial||13% (clean), 8% (late)||A dropkick with both legs. Mario's best air KO tool.|
|Up aerial||8%||Mario performs a backflip. A great juggling move, can KO at 140% near the upper Blast Zone.|
|Down aerial||Mario Tornado||1% (hits 1-5), 5% (final), 2% (landing)||Mario spins attacking with both hands. It has a new graphics to match Super Mario Galaxy's Star Spin.|
Grab and throws
|Grab||-%||Simply grabs with one hand.|
|Pummel||4%||Mario makes some fire from his hand. Faster than his old pummel|
|Forward throw||9%||Mario spins once then launches the opponent in front of him.|
|Back throw||12% (throw), 9% (collateral)||Mario swings twice and throws the opponent backward. Mario's stronger throw as well as one of his most reliable KO moves: it starts KOing at about 140% near the ledge.|
|Up throw||8%||Mario launches the opponent upwards with both hands.|
|Down throw||6%||Mario slams the opponent onto the ground. Good set up for combos most notably his up tilt and up Smash.|
|Floor attack (front)||7%||Mario gets up and kicks behind, then in front of him.|
|Floor attack (back)||7%||Mario gets up and kicks behind, then in front of him.|
|Ledge attack||7%||Gets on the stage then swipes his leg on the ground.|
|Standard Special||Fireball||5%||Mario throws a bouncing fireball. This move was buffed from Smash 4 as the fireball is faster and doesn't become weaker.|
|Standard Special: custom move 1||Fast Fireball||3%||This variation makes the fireball faster and loses the bouncing effect. In Smash NeXt it's stronger than in Smash 4.|
|Standard Special: custom move 2||Fire Orb||1% per hit, 10% (explosion)||Mario summons a large, slow fireball that inflicts multiple damages. In Smash NeXt, the Fire Orb explodes at the end, with a high knockback.|
|Side Special||Cape||7%, 1.5x (projectiles reflected)||Mario swings his cape forward, inflicting damage, turning opponents and reflecting projectiles. This move also stops Mario's momentum in the air.|
|Side Special: custom move 1||Shocking Cape||11%||Loses the reflecting, turning and momentum cancelling proprieties while becoming stronger and with more knockback.|
|Side Special: custom move 2||Gust Cape||5%||Loses some power and the reflecting ability while gaining a strong windbox.|
|Up Special||Super Jump Punch||5% (hit 1), 1% (hits 2-5), 2% (hit 6).||Mario performs an uppercut with aesthetics coins. In Smash NeXt, this move gains more height.|
|Up Special: custom move 1||Super Jump||-%||Gains more height (in Smash NeXt even more than Smash 4) at the cost of losing the hitbox.|
|Up Special: custom move 2||Explosive Punch||8% (hit 1), 13% (hit 2)||Loses some height while gaining only 2 hitboxes that are stronger. Good KO move.|
|Down Special||F.L.U.D.D.||-%||Mario charges his F.L.U.D.D. By pressing B again, he unleashed a strong water jet. Once charged, Mario can move freely.|
|Down Special: custom move 1||Scalding F.L.U.D.D.||1% per hit||Loses his windbox and some range while gaining an active hitbox and makes the charge faster (about 40% faster)|
|Down Special: custom move 2||High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D.||-%||This variation has a slower charging time while pushing the opponents further.|
|Final Smash||Rainbow Mario||2% per hit, each move is 1.5x stronger.||Mario becomes for 18 seconds Rainbow Mario. In this state, he's invincible, faster and stronger. He also inflicts damage by only touching the opponents and can't enter in the helpless state.|
- Adjusts cap.
- Moves his head from left to right and holds his fists in front of his face.
- Up: Grows to a super-size, as if taking a Super Mushroom power-up, before shrinking again. This also increases his hurtbox. The size increase stacks with special matches and actual super mushrooms. During the taunt, Mario mimics the standing pose seen in the original Super Mario Bros.
- Side: Twirls and removes his cap. Mario often does this taunt when he completes a level in some of his games, mainly New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 64.
- Down: Spins around in mid-air with his arms and legs outstretched before falling on his back. This is a reference to his death animation in the original Donkey Kong game.
Retains his one from Smash 4.
- Makes some explosions from a hand then strikes a pose.
- Does a spinning jump, landing in a strong man pose.
- Runs all over being very happy.
Claps to the winner.
Comes of from a Warp Pipe saying "Let's-a-go!"
Walking and dashing animations
- Walk: simply walks.
- Dash: simply runs.
- Dodge: rolls forward/backward.
- Sidestep: moves his body to the background.
- Air dodge: moves like avoiding projectiles.
A remix from Smash 4 victory theme of Mario series, which is a remix of the flagpole theme.
Red cap, blue overalls, big moustache... It must be Mario! This videogame star is one of the most recognizable character in whole world. Mario appeared in over 200 games in his history and most notoriously in the Super Mario Bros. series that started 30 years ago... A long life, isn't it? Mario became also a driver, a sportive and even a doctor! His well known jumping abilities help him when jumping from a platform to another!
Appeared in: Donkey Kong (Arcade, 7/81), Super Mario Bros. (NES, 9/85).