|The character Mario did not originate from fanon, and more information can be found on the respective wiki. You may read more about it on the following wiki(s):|
|Full Name|| Mario |
|Date of Birth||October 11th (Nintendo Power)|
|Living Town||Brooklyn, New York (TV Shows)|
|Class|| Plumber |
|Main Weapon(s)||Jumping on the enemies heads|
|Vulnerable To||Enemy touch, lava, bottomless pits, etc|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong (1981)|
|Latest Appearance||Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars|
|Family and Relations|
| Luigi (brother) |
|Charles Martinet (games), Carlos Alazraqui (other media)|
Mario is a heroic plumber who stars as the main character in the popular Nintendo franchise, the Mario series. Mario is known for saving Princess Peach from the Mushroom Kingdom's enemy, Bowser, in many of his games. Mario is also the mascot of Nintendo and has been known as the most famous video game character of all time.
Mario first appeared in the game Donkey Kong saving his girlfriend Pauline from the clutches of the evil Donkey Kong, and since then has appeared in over 100 games, almost always being a playable main character whose heroic acts prevail over the bad guys. Canonically, he first appeared in the world when a stork carrying him and his brother was attacked by Kamek and he fell onto a Yoshi's back, experiencing his first adventure. He mostly lives in the Mushroom Kingdom, regularly stopping Bowser's evil acts, and rescuing Peach from him after she is kidnapped. He has also ventured to many other worlds and times to save the world from destruction. He is labeled as a plumber but is rarely seen doing his job.
In Mario's current appearance, Mario wears blue overalls with yellow buttons, a plain red shirt, a red hat with a red M on it, brown shoes, and white gloves that look similar to Mickey's. Mario has a round nose, a bumpy black Italian mustache, brown hair, and is also a bit overweight. Mario looks a lot like his brother, Luigi. Mario's clothing changed over the games. His overalls' and shirt's colors were switched around and his have been growing a bit taller or more well-rounded.
Abilities & Power Ups
- Main Article: Mario's Power-Ups
Mario has many abilities throughout his many games. Mario's oldest abilities include his Super Mario power up which makes Mario bigger after he eats a Super Mushroom, Fire Mario which makes Mario able to shoot fireballs after getting a Fire Flower, and Invincible Mario which makes Mario invincible after touching a Starman. He has found several other power-ups over the years, such as the Metal Cap and Flying Cap, Tanooki Leaf, and Ice Flower. He has even ventured into interstellar space and found odd alien powerups like the Bee Mushroom.
He also has many abilities of his own. He can jump amazingly high and fall on top of enemies to crush them, or he can kick and punch them in the 3D games. He can also Spin Jump in many games, harnessing magical power to destroy enemies easier.
Super Mario Bros. series
Super Toads: The Snow Galaxies
New Super Mario Bros.: Fusion
New Super Mario Bros. Fusion features Mario as he once again is forced to save Princess Peach. His special ability is the best most powerful Star Spin.
New Super Mario Bros U 2: Return to the Mushroom World
In New Super Mario Bros U 2: Return to the Mushroom World, Mario goes to the Mushroom World to save the seven kings from Bowser and Metal Mario with the help of Luigi, Toad and Peach. He's the most balanced character of the four.
Super Mario and the Ludu Tree
In Super Mario and the Ludu Tree, Mario is the first main character and has to save Peach. In this game he will also have some new features, such as different powerups, different styles of outfits, etc.
New Super Mario Bros.: Clash of the Koopas
Mario saves Princess Peach once again in New Super Mario Bros.: Clash of the Koopas. Along with the other playable characters, he can use different power-ups. He's the only default character in the game, and recommended for beginners.
Rareware: The Fighters
In Rareware: The Fighters, Mario is a hidden character in this game alongside Rareware's most famous characters.
Super Smash Bros. Epic BattleSuper Smash Bros. Epic Battle features Mario as a default veteran in this game. He has the exact same attacks as the last game, except his Over & Down attacks are changed.
- A Neutral: Fireball
- A Over: Hammer
- A Up: Super Jump Punch
- A Down: Star Spin
- Final Smash: Mario Finalle
- Secret Smash: Super Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brutal Duel.
Mario is set to return as a default veteran in Super Smash Bros. Brutal Duel.
- B Netural: Fireball
- B Side: Cape
- B Up: Rocket Nozzle
- B Down: Mario Tornado
- Final Smash: Mario Finale
Super Smash Bros T.
Mario is one of the starting characters in Super Smash Bros. T with a bit of an upgrade.
- Standard B - Mario shoots a fireball but faster than previous games to be similar to his fire flower.
- Side B - Mario uses his Cape as defense or to flip other players around. No changes.
- Up B - Mario jumps up in a way from his classic days. While hitting players, coins will come out of them.
- Down B - Mario spins around with a blue aura in his hands, based off of his original Mario Tornado and his Mario Galaxy spin.
- Final Smash - Mario creates a giant lazer-type fire blast with his hands, named the Mario Finale.
Mario & Luigi: All Stars
Mario appears in Mario & Luigi: All Stars as the main character of the series. He is controlled throughout the game using the A button. He is brothers with Luigi. He and Luigi team up with Wario and Waluigi to stop Chancellor Hedron and the Ztars. He tends to be equally rounded when it comes to his base stats.
Toad Town Universe
Mario appears as a main character and an ally. Mario rescues the player with Link in the beginning and uses the moves Jump, Hammer, and Fireball in battle. He is located in Toad Town Square.
Captain Toad: Pokémon Trainer
Mario appears in the crossover game Captain Toad: Pokémon Trainer as the 7th Gym Leader and specializes in Fire-type Pokémon. After being defeated, he'll give the Flower Badge, $5,000.00 and TM35 (Flamethrower) as prizes. If the player uses one of certain amiibo, he will give $6,000.00 instead of usual $5,000.00. If the Charizard amiibo is used, Mario will also give a Charizardite X to the player.
Super Mario Hover Race
Mario is one of the racers in Super Mario Hover Race.
Mario Kart 8 Wii U
Mario appears as a playable character in Mario Kart 8 Wii U. His special move is Fire Flower.
Mario Kart Wii 2.0
Mario appears as a playable character in Mario Kart Wii 2.0.
Ultimate Mario Party U
Mario is having a party and plays a major role in the plot, his default partner is Luigi and they share the team name "Blood Brothers."
The Rage of Bowser
In The Rage of Bowser: A Mario Movie, both Future and 1983 Mario and Luigi are the Dudes/Damsels In Distress. Future Mario and Luigi are leading the victorious battle that would drive King Bowser Koopa and the Koopa Kingdom from the Mushroom Kingdom forever. Bowser finally declares that he has had enough of Mario and Luigi foiling his plans, so he goes back in time to 1983 to kill 1983 Mario and 1983 Luigi before they return to the Mushroom Kingdom in 1985 and save Princess Peach the first time in Super Mario Bros.. It is up to Future Princess Peach to go back in time to 1983, stop Bowser if she can, and save the Mario Bros.
In Super Mario Silver Spurs, Mario accepts an offer to go on a vacation to Highland View, along with various friends, both old and new. When he was introduced to Gumball Watterson and his family and friends, he was surprised that he makes new friends every day, but was glad to have new friends. Therefore, he guides Gumball through different situations, and Gumball becomes a companion to him in the same way that Luigi is. Mario tries to settle the arising conflicts between Gumball and Sonic the Hedgehog, but Bowser is equally determined to antagonize Gumball by all means available.
In the second addition of the Silver Spurs Trilogy, Mario receives a message from Rosalina about the return of Count Bleck, who now plans to use the Dark Star to create dark versions of some of the heroes from SMSS1. So, he gathers his newfound friends from The Crossover Vacation to stop him.
In Super Mario Silver Spurs: Zennu Quest he with Luigi, Pucca and Yoshi went to party by van. But, when Dark Bowser swapped road sign to make Mario turn wrong side, Mario did that. At Bowser's castle he and his companions played hide-'n'-seek, they were sent to Zennu by rocket. At Zennu, Mario, alongside with friends were suspected in fire? but Sheen Estevez proved that members of gang were not guilty and from then on Sheen became Mario's ally.
In Endgame, the Ender Dragon interrupts Mario's 30th birthday party before he can even sample his birthday spaghetti, and teleports him into a universe in which he wasn't born. Later on, it is revealed that Mandy sent the Ender Dragon to do so, and plans to get rid of him so she can take over the world. Mario must set out on another quest to save his friends, the meta-universe, and himself from total destruction, with the help of an alternate Luigi and Tails, his classic self, and Black Mage. He is Mandy's empire's most wanted as he ventures across both universes.
Mario appears as a playable fighter in Lumoshi's Cookies: War.
- For a full list of images, see the resources page
- "It's-a me, Mario!" - Various games
- "Mamma mia!" - Various games
- "Fantastico!" (Fantastic) - Mario Sports Mix
- "Oh yeah! HEEYAAAAAA!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "Shut up and take-a my money!" - New Super Mario Bros. All-Star Adventure, referring to the "Shut up and take my money" meme.
- "Good question, Ms. Dinosaur... WAIT A MINUTE! DINOSAUR?!" - Super Mario Silver Spurs: The Crossover Vacation
- "Great Garbling Goombas!"- Super Smash Bros. Collide
- "Time's up, Mandy! I'm coming after you!" - Super Mario Silver Spurs 3: Endgame
- "Luigi? Princess? Yoshi? Where are You?"- Gumball and Mario meet Phineas and Ferb and Sonic
- "Go home, Sonic and be a Nintendo man"- Gumball and Mario meet Phineas and Ferb and Sonic, referring to Guile's catchphrase.
- "Haven't you ever seen one of these? It's called a MUSHROOM, and I don't want you to touch it! Do I make myself clear?"- Super Mario Silver Spurs: The Crossover Vacation
- "It's simple. Those who commit crimes are known as villains. Those who catch those no-good people or considered heroes. I'm a hero, and you're a villain, Bowser. You tried to use GameShark to warp you to the Modern World and trap us here. You gathered up villains to stop me and my friends. You even tried to hack the Classic World so you could be king of more than just Koopas. And now you expect me to take pity on you? I hate you, Bowser, I wish you were never born, and you will think the same in just a second."-Virus.EXE
- Wanna play microgames Luigi and I made?-WarioWare for Nintendo 3DS and Windows 8
- Paper Mario - The paper version of Mario that stars in the Paper Mario Series.
- Baby Mario - The baby version of Mario, used mostly in the Yoshi Series.
- Dr. Mario - Mario as a doctor that appears in the Dr. Mario Series.
- Mario (SUMB) - Mario as he appears in the Super UnMario Bros. series.
- NES Mario - The NES version of Mario that appeared in the old Super Mario games.
- Blue Mario - The Mario clone from Mario Tennis 64