Lucky Break is a board game-styled RPG developed by Pyro Enterprizes. It draws basis from the card game Munchkin as well as the Wii title Dokapon Kingdom.
Gameplay uses a board game-style rotating turn system that takes place on a board made up of hexagonal pieces. Every turn, a player may roll a die (or multiple, depending on the situation) to determine how many spaces they travel. Many things may happen depending on what type of space the player lands on.
There are 7 stats a being in the game possesses, which vary depending on what class or creature it is.
- ATK: A measure of an entity's physical strength. Primarily used to calculate Attack power.
- DEF: A measure of an entity's physical durability. Primarily used to calculate resistance to an opponent's Attack.
- MAG: A measure of an entity's magical strength. Primarily used to calculate Magic power.
- RES: A measure of an entity's magical durability. Primarily used to calculate resistance to an opponent's Magic.
- SPD: A measure of an entity's speed. Primarily used to determine who goes first in a battle.
- LCK: A measure of an entity's innate luck. Primarily used to determine rate of skill activation or critcal hit rate.
- BOND: A unique stat, in that each player has a specific BOND level with each other player. This increases as players work together, and decreases as they fight against each other. Allied players with high BOND typically gain increased benefits in both battle and the field.
When a character lands on a space with Eerie Mist on it, a battle is triggered. The game then measures the SPD stat of both the player and the opponent to see who goes first.
If the player goes first, they may select one of 6 options:
- Strike: A basic attack that cannot be blocked whatsoever. Deals damage equal to double the user's level. Only attack that can never miss.
- Attack: A physical attack that can be weakened with the Guard option. Deals damage equal to ATK stat minus enemy DEF stat.
- Power Attack: A powerful attack that is 3 times as strong as the normal attack. Can be reflected by a Counter.
- Magic: A magical attack that can be weakened with the Hex Block option. Deals damage equal to MAG stat minus enemy RES stat.
- Power Magic: A powerful burst of magic 3 times as strong as the normal Magic. Can be reflected by a Counter.
- Scroll: A powerful ability based on the Scroll the user has equipped. Changes effect depending on the type of Scroll used. (Only Offensive Scrolls can be used in this phase.)
If the player goes last, they may select from another 6 options.
- Give Up: Instantly surrender and flee from battle. Removes some gold or a random item. Occasionally fails or can be blocked.
- Guard: Weakens an attack from the opponent.
- Counter: Completely negates an opponent's Power Attack or Power Magic, dealing back the same amount of damage. No effect on an Attack or Magic.
- Dodge: Can nullify any type of attack aside from a Strike, but has a high chance to fail.
- Item: Utilize an item in your inventory.
- Scroll: A powerful ability based on the Scroll the user has equipped. Changes effect depending on the type of Scroll used. (Only Defensive Scrolls can be used in this phase.)
The player will do the other option after they defend or attack. After both participants in battle have made their attacks, play shifts to the next player if the battle has not ended. The battle will continue until one participant falls.
There are several types of spaces that a player may land on. Each one possesses a different effect.
|Normal Space||A normal patch of land with nothing overly special about it. Nothing triggers if you land here.|
|Eerie Mist||A space inhabited by a monster. If you land here, you enter battle. The monster's type and level is dependent on the area in which the player is currently located.|
|Village||A peaceful village where a player can rest to heal their wounds. Villages can also be bought for a large sum of money, giving a player a small, constant supply of tax money.|
|Shop||A small establishment in the middle of the wilderness. This space is where players can exchange their money for various items and equipment.|
|Magisterium||A strange building run by a mage. Similar to a shop, but instead of selling equipment and items, they sell scrolls.|
|Black Door||The entrance to a dungeon. Is only found in outdoor areas.|
|White Door||The exit from a dungeon. Is only found inside dungeons.|
|Castle||A pristine castle ruled by a king. Bring him Boss Spoils, and he will reward you with Gold, Jewels, Mana, or even Relics. Players can also rest in castles like in villages.|
|Dark Mist||Incredibly thick Eerie Mist. Instead of normal enemies, Dark Mist contains bosses, and will not move on a turn-by-turn basis.|
|Wandering Traveler||A traveler on their own journey, they move one or two spaces every turn. Land on their space to meet with them, but what happens depends on the character...|
|Lucky Space||Resembles ground, but with a slight sparkle. Can award items, Scrolls, or Gold.|
|Unlucky Space||Resembles ground, but with a slight red tinge. Can curse the player, remove an item or Gold, or unleash a mini-boss.|
|Lotto Space||Resembles ground, but with both red and yellow sparkles. Initiates a roulette that can decide a positive or negative outcome, but has more significant effects than normal Lucky or Unlucky Spaces.|
Various events that can occur while playing. An event can affect a player positively or negatively.
|The Beggar||An old man carrying a sack of various objects. Give him Gold, and he'll give you an inventory item. It may be mediocre and it may be magnificent; it'll always be a beneficial item.|
|The Shadow Beggar||A demonic old man carrying a sack of various organs and hot coals. Like the Beggar, he offers items in exchange for something, and the Shadow Beggar actually grants extremely good items. However, he wants not Gold, but your soul; he takes away your HP.|