Gijutsu Teikoku (技術帝国 Technology Empire) is an original game series by X-Scissor. It starts out with the 2004 game, Gijutsu Teikoku: Kusei Sukeru for the Nintendo GameCube. The title of the name is often shortened to either "Giiutsu" or "Teikoku" by the fans.
The series revolves around a teenaged boy named Ikishu, who is an overly-obsessive Otaku and hardcore gamer. He lives in a distant future ruled by computers and other forms of technology, lead by a massive supercomputer named Rida.
Humans live in fear, forced to worship this technology, and do not know what technology can be trusted and what kind of technology can not. Ikishu is a single human being who lives without this fear, but he knows how to destroy the evil software programmed into them.
Evil technology is called "Waru". The gameplay of the main series games include both 3D and 2D elements. The player holds a laser-gun, light sword, or "Ki-Whip".
- Ikishu - The main protagonist of the series. He is an otaku and hardcore gamer, who lacks much physical strength. He seeks revenge on the Waru technology for kidnapping his mother, killing his father, and taking over his house. He sets out on a long-lasting journey in attempt to protect the world from the Waru's terrifying plans to completely obliterate the entire planet of Earth.
- Kagari - A childhood friend of Ikishu's, who also has a strong crush on him. She is very physically fit, and will occasionally come in to assist Ikishu in battle. She dislikes war, but she will do whatever it takes to stop the Waru technology, because she is brave. She also tries her hardest to impress Ikishu.
- Kaesu - An intelligent man who knows a lot about the Waru technology. He gives Ikishu tips on the weaknesses of Waru, as well as their strengths. He is not very powerful in battle, but he can also give weapon-upgrades to Ikishu for a small price.
- Paowa - Another childhood friend of Ikishu's, who is extremely powerful. He will occasionally come into battle with Ikishu and help out.
- Rida - The powerful supercomputer-leader of the Waru technology, as well as the corrupt king of the entire world. He has plans to obliterate the entire planet, but he first must kill all who get in his way. He forced the world into war by sending his troops into peaceful areas. He is almost indestructable, until
- Ashisu - Rida's assistant who leads the Waru army (of course, after given the orders by Rida). He takes the role of leader of the Waru technology army, as well as ruler of the new world in Taiyo Furea, due to the ending events in Kusei Sukeru.
- Korohi - A deranged human being who has taken the side of the Waru technology in the war. He is extremely powerful, and could kill a human with a single punch. However, he is extremely vulnerable to Rock & Roll music.
Main Article: Gijutsu Teikoku (series)/Side Characters
A game released in 2004 (In all localized versions; 2002 in Japan) for the Nintendo GameCube. Ikishu's home gets taken over by Waru technology. In order to get it back, he leaves his hometown and fights in the long-lasting war against technology. After finding out their secret plans to dispose of the world, Ikishu heads directly after Rida and his crew. Ikishu is forced to watch the death of many of his friends, and is tortured by Waru technology.
Ikishu attempts to directly fight Rida, but ends up getting hurt badly, due to his strength. Later, he discovers a young man named Kaesu. He teaches Ikishu about the ten Kusei Sukeru (translated as: Polar Scales), which contain great power that may be able to defeat Rida.
A game released in 2007 (in localized versions, 2006 in Japan) for the Nintendo Wii. The game takes place two months after the previous game. After the death of Rida in Kusei Sukeru, the Waru technology has grown weaker. Although the technology still has control over the world, the citizens are more free, and live in less fear. However, the Waru technology suddenly come up with a plan to get better control on the world.
The Waru begin to absorb energy from the Sun, and other stars in the galaxy, to gain more power. They begin to create dark clones of the citizens. Ashisu, Rida's former assistant, becomes the new leader of the Waru group, and puts the world under strict rule once again.
Ikishu goes after the Waru technology again in another adventure, in attempt to protect planet Earth from a horrible fate once again.
A game to be released in 2013 for the Wii U, which will take advantage of the GamePad's abilities. The game takes place three years after the previous game. Right after the ending events in Taiyo Furea, the Waru technology retreat from planet Earth to find a better target planet further off in the universe.
The citizens have been freed from the rule of Waru technology, and the Earth is peaceful once again. However, the Waru army lands on a distant planet made up of almost completely technology, and infect their technology with Waru software. The Waru send shockwaves to planet Earth, getting the attention of Ikishu. The Waru warn that they will be returning soon with even more powerful technology.
Ikishu realizes that he must go to the technology planet of Eiyu-teki as well as Earth. He sets off on a journey across space and fights much more evil forces of Waru, and lands on Eiyu-teki. A war begins on that planet as well, and Ikishu must protect the citizens from becoming fearful like the ones of Earth did.
Main Article: Gijutsu Teikoku (series)/OVAs
Although Gijutsu Teikoku never got an anime, its cutscenes are animated extremely similarly to that of one. So, a couple of anime specials were released aside from the series, although they did not focus much on the story of the games in the series. A total of 7 OVAs have been released so far.
Main Article: Gijutsu Teikoku (series)/Manga
A manga of Gijutsu Teikoku was released, which went through the story of the series' three games. Occasionally, there were some added in parts that were not included in the games, or some bonus chapters used to make the story more interesting.
This section contains notes about the series, explaining some of the concept of it.
Here is a bit of an explanation on the "hidden content" of this quote. The first game, Kusei Sukeru takes place in 2065, meaning, if this were a normal future, most hotels, technology, etc. would be extremely advanced. Meaning, you probably wouldnt even need Wi-Fi connection to browse the Internet. But, because this is the future where evil technology rules the world, every citizen of the world is scared that the technology they own could possibly be Waru technology. So, people own less technology in their homes at this time than they do even these days. So, average hotels wouldn't really have Internet access nor televisions in this future.
Time travel is introduced in Gijutsu Teikoku: Taiyo Furea as a gameplay element for a short amount of time. Time travel was said to be discovered in 2064 (a year before the series starts) in order to go back in time and stop the Waru technology from ever taking over Earth in the first place. Although, mid-timewarp, an accident happens, and the test subject is sent two days ahead of the time that the time machine was tested, and extremely injured. They said that they never made it to the past, and that they saw horrific images mid-travel. It was then banned from all time travel technology to go back in time before the day March 21, 2064, the day time travel was tested, for some terrible event may happen.
- Gijutsu Teikoku was kept with its Japanese names in all counties except Australia, which came up with the name "Technological Empire". The games Kusei Sukeru, Taiyo Furea, and Saigo Hajimari were simply translated literally to: Polar Scales, Solar Flare, and Final Beginning.
- Cutscenes in the Gijutsu Teikoku games are animated, and drawn out like scenes of an anime.