Enlightenment is a 4X strategy game developed and published by RECHSOFT for Windows 3.1 and Sega Saturn on October 10th, 1994. The game focuses on the rise of civilizations through the beginning of it to the future.
The game was so successful that it spawned three expansion packs; Test of Time, Gilded Age, and World War, which each introducing new civilizations and mechanics.
|United States||Ulysses S. Grant||Washington D.C.||Original Game|
|Germany||Otto von Bismarck||Berlin||Original Game||Called Nazi Germany if Fascism is adopted. Called East Germany if Communism is adopted.|
|Russia||Mikhail Gorbachev||Moscow||Original Game||Called USSR if Communism is adopted.|
|Spain||Phillip II||Madrid||Original Game|
|England||Charles I||London||Original Game|
|Canada||John A. Macdonald||Ottawa||Original Game|
|China||Qin Shi Huang||Beijing||Original Game|
|Mexico||Guadalupe Victoria||Mexico City||Original Game|
|Wales||Owain Gwynedd ap Gruffydd||Cardiff||Original Game|
|Austria||Maria Theresa||Vienna||Original Game|
|Poland||August Zaleski||Warsaw||Original Game|
|Scotland||Kenneth MacAlpin||Edinburgh||Original Game|
|Ireland||Henry VIII||Dublin||Original Game|
|Switzerland||Jonas Furrer||Bern||Original Game|
|Finland||Mauno Koivisto||Helsinki||Original Game|
|Sweden||Oscar II||Stockholm||Original Game|
|Denmark||Ulrik Holstein||Copenhagen||Original Game|
|Vikings||Otto Richard Kierulf||Oslo||Test of Time||Called Norway in Modern Times.|
|Arabia||Ibn Saud||Mecca||Test of Time||Called Saudi Arabia in Modern Times.|
|Persia||Darius I||Persepolis||Test of Time||Called Iran in Modern Times.|
|Hungary||Lajos Kussoth||Budapest||Test of Time|
|Ottomans||Osman I||Constantinople||Test of Time||Called Turkey in Modern Times.|
|Ethiopia||Meles Zewani||Addis Ababa||Test of Time|
|South Africa||P.W. Botha||Cape Town||Test of Time|
|Prussia||William II||Königsberg||Test of Time|
|Olmecs||Ku Tu||San Lorenzo||Test of Time|
|Australia||Edmund Barton||Canberra||Test of Time|
|North Korea||Kim jong-il||Pyongyang||World War|
|South Korea||Rhee Syng-man||Seoul||World War|
|Italy||Benito Mussolini||Venice||World War|
|Yugoslavia||Josep Tito||Belgrade||World War|
|Burma||Hubert Rance||Naypyidaw||World War||Called to Myanmar in Modern Times.|
|Phillipines||Emilio Aguinaldo||Manila||World War|
|Malaysia||Ibrahim Ismail||Kuala Lumpur||World War|
|Vietnam||Nguyen Tho||Hanoi||World War|
|Mongolia||Genghis Kahn||Ulaanbaatar||Gilded Age|
|Morocco||Idriss I||Rabat||Gilded Age|
|Portugal||Oscar Carmona||Lisbon||Gilded Age|
|Netherlands||Etienne Gelache||Amsterdam||Gilded Age|
|Panama||Juan Lopez||Panama City||Gilded Age|
|Colombia||Simon Palacios||Bogota||Gilded Age|
|Argentina||Bernardino Rivadavia||Buenos Aires||Gilded Age|
|Uruguay||Fructuoso Rivera||Montevideo||Gilded Age|
- Working Resources - Resources that are required to build better resources. They include stone, oil, iron, and uranium.
- Luxury Resources - Resources that can be used to increase happiness in your nation.
- City-States - Smaller nations that are not reaching to conquer the world.
- Pollution - The more citizens, buildings, and polluting resources you have, the more pollution you get. The game will eventually automatically end if too much pollution is caused, although you have to be trying for it to do this.
- War - One of 6 ways to win the game, and one of the main parts of the game. If two nations have problems with one another, there is a high chance of war.
- Technology Tree - One of 6 ways to win the game, and one of the main parts of the game. The more tech you have, the more you can make.
- Law Tree - Does absolutely nothing but raise or lower happiness. More important in the 3 expansions.
- Economy - The main source of money. In the config file, you can name your currency or have it automatically named "Money."
Test of Time
- Government Tree - This DLC's result for the Law Tree. The types of Government are as follows;
- Democracy - Allows construction of White House as the capital building. Allows more research and production, but has a chance of the senate overruling use of extreme weapons (If overlapping with World War.). Allows training of Minutemen.
- Republic - Allows construction of White House as the capital building. Similar to Democracy, but creates more happiness instead of research and production. Allows training of Foreign Legion.
- Communism - Allows construction of the Kremlin as the capital building. Things cost less, but at the chance of less happiness. Allows training of Red Guard.
- Fascism - Allows construction of the Reichstag as the capital building. Army fights with more strength, and training military takes less time, but citizens will be murdered every turn soldiers are in a city. Allows training of Protection Squad.
- Cultural Leaders - Famous people in history (Writers, Artists, Musicians, Generals, Admirals, Scientists, Engineers, Revolutionaries, and Pilots.) who have a chance to appear in your cities.
- Alliances - 2 or more counties can form (and name) alliances. The limits to an alliance is that all countries involved must have a Pact with each other. It allows open borders between the nations, and forming a Troop with other nation's soldiers.
- History Tree - This DLC's result for the Law Tree. The types of history to learn are Government, War, Geographic, and National.
- Nuclear Bombs - The ultimate "extreme weapon." Destroys any city or unit, but has a certain radius, and instantly pollutes every tile in a 3x3 radius, with no hope of recovery.
- Advanced Battles - Battles now display in cinematic FMVs.