Arle Nadja (Japanese: アルル・ナジャ, Aruru Naja) is one of the main characters of the game series Puyo Puyo. Her birthday is July 22nd. She is a young girl with magical powers. In the Madou Monogatari series, she has a not-so-consistent age, but in the Puyo Puyo series, she is around 16. Being the protagonist in Madou Monogatari, she is also the protagonist of the early Puyo Puyo games.
She attacks with elemental magic such as Fire, Ice Storm, and Thunder, but also knows some other magic such as Diacute and her signature Bayoen.
Arle's appearance between games have minor differences, but there are several details that are consistent between depictions. In the Compile games, both her hair and eyes were brown, while in the SEGA games starting with Puyo Puyo Fever 2 her hair is orange while her eyes are a golden brown (curiously, her eyes were blue in Puyo Puyo Fever). Regardless, her hair is constantly tied together with a blue band to form a ponytail. Her clothing always puts an emphasis on blue and white colors. These pieces of accessories and clothing would receive minor changes in later games.
As of Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, she has a blue skirt, blue boots, a T-shirt, blue wristbands, a blue cape with a white rim, and a blue breastplate which covers her whole chest. Both her wristbands and boots have a white stripe.
Arle's notable ability is that she's an expert at using varies types of spells, even when she was in kindergarten. Throughout both Madou Monogatari and Puyo Puyo she's been shown using many kinds of spells each with their own properties. However as revealed in Madou Monogatari III, she still has a limit on how often she can used these spells, in this case her finger started bleeding after abusing Ice Storm too much. Her spells are Fire, Ice Storm, Diacute, Brain Dumbed, Jugemu, and her signature move Bayoen.
- Despite her design changing through out the Puyo Puyo series, Arle states that she wears the same clothes 365 days a year.
- Her favorite color is blue.
- Arle is the first and one of the few character with an asymmetrical design (though it's her clothing rather than a physical feature). She is also one of the only asymmetrical characters not to have a second set of art.
- Arle's theme is 時空を超えて久しぶり! (Jikū o koete hisashiburi! lit. It's Been a Long Time Since We Passed Through Space Time!)
- One of Arle's spells, Ru-i-pa-n-ko (るいぱんこ), is the reverse spelling of Japanese kana, Ko-n-pa-i-ru (コンパイル, Compile).
- Amitie shares many traits with Arle; namely, she is a primary protagonist and uses similar (or, in the case of Bayoeen, outright identical) spells.